Chapter 34: Getting Some Help

It didn’t take long for us to get back to my house. The damage from the storms was evident everywhere. There were huge grooves in the ground, as well as fires and flooding. It looked like the world has just recovered from the apocalypse.

Reflamen staggered to a landing in the park outside my house. To my relief the storms hadn’t broken through the protective field I had put around the city. I jumped of the back of my dragon and walked towards the house.

‘Hey, there’s someone coming,’ said Reflamen.

I scanned the sky, and managed to find a speck in the sky.

‘It’s a dragon rider,’ stated the dragon.

We waited for a few minutes for the dragon to get to us. When it did it landed in a huff, and the rider jumped off, gasping for air. They had flown fast, faster then a normal dragon would with a rider on its back.

“What’s wrong?” I asked the rider, immediately sensing the urgency.

The rider took a couple of seconds to catch her breath. She looked up at me, fear evident in her eyes.

“An… army,” she gasped, “Huge, bigger then anything… I’ve ever seen.”

I looked at Reflamen, ‘Check it out.’

He nodded and closed his eyes, going into the google earth like existence.

“Can you tell me anything else?” I asked the rider.

She had sat down next to her purple dragon. The dragon was looking at her worriedly.

“The… the things… in that army… were unlike anything I’ve ever seen,” she continued.

“Wait a sec,” I said, knowing that she wouldn’t last much longer.

I put my hand on her shoulder and imaginered a white light. It surrounded her and gave her back the energy she needed. Her dragon sighed in relief. It nodded at me, and I nodded back.

“Now, slowly, tell me everything,” I said.

Now that she had her breath back she began to recount her tale, “Sariska and I were flying down near that huge rock thing in the middle of Australia.”

“Uluru?” I asked, she nodded then continued.

“We were skirting around the edge of once of those storms, when it suddenly disappeared. We were immensely happy because we didn’t think we could fly much longer without succumbing to the winds. Anyway, as soon as the storm disappeared a huge lightning bolt came from the sky around a kilometre away from where we were. I wanted to check out why, even though Sariska thought it was too dangerous. One strange thing about the lightning bolt was that it didn’t go away instantly, like most of those lightning bolts would. It just kept zapping at the ground. At first we thought it interesting and not to dangerous if we didn’t get to close. Then the first monster came through. It was an ice thing, like what I saw in a few of those storms. As soon as it saw us it flew at us with a huge sword. We despatched it pretty easily, with a quick burst of fire, but then they came poring out, along with hundreds of other different types of monsters. It looked like an ant colony all rushing out of their nest at once. Sariska immediately began to fly away, attempting to get away before they realise what we were. It didn’t work and dozens of those ice angels flew after us. They were flying to fast for her to outrun them, at least without the fear of throwing me off her back, so I cast two spells. One to stop the ice things in their tracks and the other to keep me to Sariska’s back. I then told her to fly as fast as she could.”