Chapter 9: A New Teacher

I stood surprised. The man, or thing, that had been trying to kill me was now offering to train me. I looked at him suspciously.

"You just tried to kill me," I said slowly, "And now you want to help me?"

The man laughed, "I did kill you, and yes, I do want to help you."

"What?" I said.

"I did kill you," replied the Shape Shifter, "But it's a simple matter just to bring you back to life."

I opened my mouth, then closed it again. Suddenly my thoughts flew to Reflamen.

"Reflamen!" I said, "Where is he!"

The Shape Shifter looked at me with a 'what are you talking about' expression.

"The dragon," I said, "Where is he?"

He shrugged, "I don't know. He fell when I stabbed you."

I stretched out my mind and found Reflamen's consciousness. He was alive at least. I started to run to were he was. The Shape Shifter called out after me, but I ignored him and continued running. I smashed my way through a few branches before I finally came to a clearing with a large coloured form in the middle. It was Reflamen.

He was unconscious, that was for sure. His wing was bent at an odd angle and there was a tree impaled in his side. I ran up to him, he was definitly lucky to be alive.

'Reflamen,' I said.

Instantly a voice responded, 'Derrick! Your alive! Or am I just imagining it.'

'No, no it's really me,' I said with a smile.

The huge body rumbled, then groaned. I instantly felt the pain shoot through our connection. I gasped and clutched my side, falling to my knees. 

'Hurts doesn't it,' I said with a grim smile.

Reflamen snorted painfully, 'You better hurry up and get this thing out of me. I can't do it, I thing my two front legs a broken.'

'Really, well you really are a broken mess then,' I said with a laugh. 

I close my eyes and started to imagine. An image appeared, then disappeared within and instant. I frowned and tried again.

'Stupid cave,' I thought.

"You can't imaginere in here," said a voice from behind me.

I looked around to see The Shape Shifter standing behind me. He was different now, smaller and less freakish. His clothes had changed and he was bulkier, with a heavy sword strapped to his back. 

"How does that work?" I said. 

"Imagination," said the man with a smile.

"You can make me not able to imagine?" I said, distraut.

"No," replied the Shape Shifter, "But since I created this place, no one can imagine here, except me. It happens to every imaginere. If I went into your world I wouldn't be able to imaginere either."

I nodded, that made sense, "But what about the island. You created it and I was still able to imaginere then."

"I didn't create it," he replied, "I just modified it."

I nodded my head. Suddenly a sharp pain shot through my side. I groaned and doubled over. The Shape Shifter looked worried.

"Are you alright?" he said.

I smiled arkwardly, "Yeah, but Reflamen isn't. We are dragon and rider, if you know what that is."

Understanding filled his face, "Then I better heal him."