BONUS PAGE: Preface to Original Gamebook

PAGE OF THE HANDWRITTEN LOST / HIDDEN "GAMEBOOK OF FOUNTELLION" by Prof. Benjamin FIelding

[Note: These 'pages' appeared in their original green handwriting on scrolls which dissolved after five minutes of reading and were invisible to any game captures. Page 1 is transcribed below for the first time.]

[This page is found by players with assured levels of branch-jumping and transformation speed within the higher reaches of a Great Cedar Tree. It is found blowing loose at the top, and players acquire it following the execution of sufficient actions that meet certain criteria. These criteria together imply that a certain assurance or attunement with the game fabric on both a mental and physical level has been attained.]

.

What might be the next best thing after accessing an enthralling new world, or an enhanced dimension, and experiencing it; playing it...?

Perhaps it is finding the book – within it – about how it was created... how it was conceived... and how the game-world itself will end...

Well... this is the book in which I write this, beneath my hands, in real ink about our thriving island. I blow the dust off it from time to time, which comes through the open door of an old barn that at one time produced many fine bottles of wine. Quite a strong wind is blowing in from across the fields and it rattles the runners of the heavy doors.

Everything that the Spiral and Fountellion came to be began with this book...

I gaze at the hopes and dreams, frozen in the ink of my former, inspired self... and match them up to the reality that surrounds me: the 'success' and influence – and the blame – that many may place upon me...

It is not yet shared, this book. It is still a personal vision... private... individual... unknown...

And I will not share it. Not entirely. Not until some future time... Maybe never... It is, after all, now only really a dry, opened seed in the wind...

But... also... it is only by reading parts of this book that good folk; they may judge the problem we faced and confronted.

I do hope we may be judged better. Not that this matters to nature, or the future shape and life of Fountellion.

So... I will hide some pages; bury them in the game – for the greater players – and maybe these will add – something – more... for those who will be involved in shaping and caring for its future form... even you...

And there is one section... one page... written so long ago, which I have told few people about... and even now I must re-read and reflect upon it – decide whether it will be included with those I will scatter into the winds of this other friend, our Green Game...