The good in goodbye

"William Kent sounds like a typical Scorpio," Hannah remarks as she puts her chopsticks down. She is all about this astrology and horoscope stuff.

"I have no idea what that means."

"It means he's mysterious, secretive, dark and oh so sensuous." That is him. I stalk his Instagram and his Twitter and oh wait, I can just google him!

His birthday is on 11 November, he is a Scorpio.

"What are you?" I ask Hannah.

"I am a Leo and you are a Taurus. Now tell me more about this Nate kid," she is loving this.

"He's sweet and you know, the kind of friend you need at work." Why is everyone focusing so much on him?

"What are you going to do about the article you have to submit in less than 12 hours?"

"I don't fucking know Hannah—help me!" I plead. I can't think of anything I can write that will do justice to the content they publish on Substance magazine.

"Maybe I am just not meant for this fancy a job. Maybe I should become a waitress at the local deli."

"You got fired from Starbucks on you first shift Mia. Go take a shower and I'll think of something."

I don't even bother arguing. My legs are wobbly and I urgently need to pass out; I am not used to a 9 to 6. I turn the shower to the hottest possible, close my eyes and stand under it. New York is such a loud and fast city that I just need a moment to catch my breath—pounding on the door interrupts my train of thoughts.

"Open up bitch-ass!" Hannah yells from outside. Why did I agree to become friends with her again? The pounding continues.

"Give me 5," I yell hopping out of the shower. I hate her so much right now. Of course, there is no towel because I did not bring one in. I open the door slightly and pop my head out. She's not even outside!

"Hannahhhh" I scream. How dare she interrupt my shower and then not even bother waiting at the door. Isn't that common interrupt the shower protocol?

"That sounds lit, I've heard of 1 Oak but if you can get us in that would be bomb dot com," Hannah says on her phone as she walks towards me. Wait, that's my phone and she—what?

"See you Wednesday night, talk to Mia," Hannah says and she doesn't hand me the phone. She's laughing at something but I snatch my phone back.

"Hello," I say.

"Good night Kent?" he sounds so much yummier on the phone. Hearing him talk is taking a bite into the sizzling molten chocolate lava cake that is oozing of decadent dark chocolate ganache. Oh wait—he's saying something.

"I just... it's no big deal." I try to wiggle out of this sticky situation.

"Talk to me," he hounds me.

"I just—I feel like I don't know you enough sometimes and tonight was one of those nights," you've got to be honest right?

"What would you like to know?"

"Do you have any siblings? What's your favorite color? What did you want to be when you were little? If you could have any superpower what would it be? —I know nothing about you and even though we spend time together, we never really talk." Am I coming across too needy? Am I one of those clingy woman that is too desperate?

"I have a younger brother and an older sister. My favorite color is black, I wanted to be an astronaut as a child and superpower... uhm... I would like to have the ability to be invisible at will. How about you?"

"I have a younger brother and my favorite color is white and I wanted to be a unicorn when I grow up..." I can hear him chuckling on the other side and I like the sound of it. "And I always wanted to be able to fly on my magic pony."

"You're a cutie." Of course, he thinks I am fat—understandably. Look at Sophia and Amanda. I shouldn't have had that tiramisu. I am nowhere near an Instagram model.

"Do you have any cats or dogs?" I do my best to deflect the attention from him.

"My mother has dogs at her house but I don't personally have any. Are we done for the night?" He didn't ask me what I like—whatever. I like them all.

"Yup," I lie, I will never be done talking to him.

"Keep your heart away from your sleeves Mia!" Inner voice instructs me but is she already too late?

"Can't wait to read your article," bastard!

"Wait for me to get an approval and next time ask me and not your ex for it." I hiss—hopefully it's not awkward tomorrow when I see Amanda.

"We're a little feisty tonight."

"Bye Liam." I really, urgently have to pee. 

"Dream of me." He disconnects the call.