Ice to meet you

This is a mini-chapter that I couldn't help but write. I am too sleepy to write more right now but I plan on updating more tomorrow. 

On my way out, I spot Matt on the other side of the room but he is busy with, what's her name? I think Rebecca. I go over to my chair and place my rose gold clutch on the table. Will isn't on the table; I have no desire to make any conversation with Sophia.

I go across to hug Matt, covered in a flushed Versace suit and white jumbo butterfly bow. He is my only friend here and his date is dazzling. She has curly hair and sharp features, why is she scowling at me? I flash my 'I am just a friend' smile at her and pray she gets it. I don't want to be a cock block.

"Rachel this is Mia," Matt is picking up on her discomposure as well.

"Nice to meet you," I say and realize we both said it at the same time. Realizing that both of us only realized so after finishing the sentence, we look at each other and chuckle. Now I don't know what to do. I really should get back to the table, small talk makes me awkward. I wish them a great night and walk back.

Martha stands up and clinks her glass up with a fork. The room hushes and Will walks back as if on que, looking peeved. He is walking towards me and my heart beat accelerates. He is strikingly handsome and I want to kiss his pouty lips, except he is glaring at me. I suddenly feel like the kid who just saw 47 missed calls from mom. What did I do?

He sits down and his watch makes a loud noise as he bangs his hand on the table. Nobody says anything.

"Thank you all for coming tonight and for your generous contribution. We've decided that this year we'll do things a little differently. Instead of donating to finding a cure, William here is funding a research team that will solely be focused on finding a cause."

There is a loud applause in the room and my eyes drift to him. He is covering his nose and his mouth with his hand, maybe this is his reaction to uncomfortable situations. I can't stop myself from reaching out and touching the edge of his other hand that is thankfully towards me. It means something to me that he did not just brush my suggestion aside but instead gave it some serious consideration. 

He tilts his head slightly towards me, looks at me for a decent two seconds and then moves his hand away from mine, rather rudely. I was just showing gratitude! 

"Mia, you were flirting, you sneaky bitch," the inner bitch remarks. I was not flirting one bit, she is wrong. Right? 

He reaches out to caress Sophia's hair and then tucks the loose strands on her face under her ear, gently. I can't help but look away, the sight makes me want to throw up again. I feel a heaviness in my chest I haven't experienced before. I ignore it, that's the thing about feelings, if you ignore them long enough and pretend they never existed, they go away. 

That's what I've always done. 

I am not sure what Martha just said but the noise of people applauding snaps me out of my thoughts. To be courteous, I clap my hands to show support and blend in. 

"You have no idea what she just said," Will sneers at me. I fidget with the loose strands of my hair, trying to ignore him. I don't bother answering, I owe no explanation to him. Somebody says something from the audience and people are applauding, this time I don't join in. I don't want to be here anymore. I wish Hannah could sweep me away from here. 

Martha is done with the speech and people are flocking around her. Sophia gets up to join the herd and that is when I notice that William isn't sitting next to me anymore, he's with Martha. 

I gather my clutch, pick up my phone and steal one last glance of him. Taken and exceptionally moody William; unavailable and out of my league Kent.

He looks up from the crowd and our eyes kiss. I don't know how or why but on some profound level I can feel the magnitude of this moment. It is like I am holding on to a moment before it becomes a memory. Before he becomes a memory.

"It was a pleasure to meet you," the inner voice says earnestly and I am astounded by the depth in her voice. She too is devastated by what is inevitable. 

I smile toothlessly at him, appreciating the exquisite beauty in front of me. This is my aha moment; the 'oh! So, this is what bittersweet tastes like' moment. 

I turn around and walk to the parking lot, letting the heaviness of the moment crush me. Before I know it, I am fighting back tears I didn't even know I was capable of producing. 

I wipe my cheeks and call an Uber; trying to think of one good thing that comes out of this goodbye for me. 

The Uber is 7 minutes away.

I close my eyes and the realization that my tears are lurking in the sideline, waiting to tumble down hits me. I can't not be occupied or else I'll never make it out of here with my eyeliner intact.

"Deep breaths Mia," the inner voice commands and I obey. It is not doing me any good.

I look at the app again.

6 minutes.

I open YouTube and search for a compilation of golden retriever's funny moments. That is the one thing that can make me laugh at any time. I click on the first one and within seconds I am chuckling. The sight of the little puppy barking at himself while looking in the mirror has me in fits.

I dab the tear deceiving me and not obeying my orders from my middle finger. The tear betrayed me and deserves no respect. I know I'll be okay, I always am.

4 minutes to go.

I continue the video.

I hear footsteps behind me and I turn.

"Out for some fresh air?" Will says.

"I'm just on my way out," for good.

"Without having tiramisu?" he asks, raising his eyebrow at me, lighting a cigarette.

I don't answer but look at my phone instead. 

2 minutes away. 

I look up and his probing eyes are scanning me. What does he want?

"I am good Mr. Kent," I say coldly. I don't want anything to do with him. The more time I spend with him, the more I will fall for him and all this will just end in heartbreak later. Guys like him don't go for girls like me, they go for the Sophias of the world. I have made my peace with that.

"Mia, what's wrong?" He asks softly, taking a step closer to me.

"Why would something be wrong?" I ask, acting casual. I will not give him the satisfaction of watching me squirm.

"Mia, come back and have Tiramisu," he holds his hand out for me and I want to take it. I really do but I know what I saw. I won't be his side chick. He snubbed me, I won't be forgetting that anytime soon. If ever. 

I see a black car arriving and I know it's the universe telling me to leave. Perfect timing. The car stops in front of the main entrance and I start walking down the steps. 

As I reach the last step, William stands in front of me.

"At least let me have you dropped back," he pleads.

"My ride is already here, thank you for the offer, Mr. Kent." I sound icy, even to myself. 

He opens the door out for me and I climb in.

"I'll see you in New York Mia," he says and shuts the door. 

*If you enjoy reading my work, don't forget to vote on it. If you want to give me any feedback/ constructive criticism, comment down below. I update regularly, so make sure you are following me to keep up with the story.