A Holiday Without Family

The warm and busy voices of my family slowly broke me from my sleep causing a soft smile to grace my lips as I laid in my bed trying to determine who was awake, it’s a game I’ve played since I was a kid and when my sister is home we sometimes lay quietly side by side as we make our guesses.

My family is abnormally large- at least that’s what I’ve been told I don’t know any different. I am the youngest of eight children

The oldest and the bossiest is Abigail, at age twenty-nine she is married to high school sweetheart Luke with three kids and a fourth on the way she still finds time to manage a small baking business.
Next up is Ryan, a cop at age twenty-seven he is married and has twin two year old daughters,
Then the twins, Rose and Clara, twenty-five Rose is a full time mom having five kids, while Clara is a traveling photographer for a magazine.
Now the triplets Troy, Leo, and Nick. Still living at home you’ll get to know them as you’ll see them a lot more.
Then me coming up in last place at age nineteen.

Finally pulling myself out of bed I stumble down the stairs.

“There she is! I was just about to come wake you up!” My mom hollered from the kitchen clearly using her mom hearing, it’s an unfair advantage at times.

“Morning mommy” I grumbled back as I reached the first floor and the noises of the house became clearer.

“Hurry up I’m starving!” Leo whined

“Oh yeah, you are all skin and bones,” his girlfriend Charlie retorted making me smile.

“I am.” I rolled my eyes as I stepped into the crowded kitchen.

“She was being sarcastic, I haven’t even had coffee yet and I can clearly tell.” I smirked at my brother who was sitting on the counter watching his girlfriend cook. “Good Morning Charlie,” I chirped,

“Hey lu-lu, I made your coffee it’s on the table.”

“Leo how did you get such a cool girlfriend?”

“She took pity on me.” He said as he aimed his big brown puppy eyes at her.

“Its true.” She sighed dramatically as she finished the omelet and dropped it on a plate.

I sat at the table taking a sip of my coffee and watching Troy trying to keep his drooping eyes open and his nodding head up right as one hand held a fork poised half why to his mouth.

“TROY THERES A SPIDER ON YOU!” Leo screeched as he thumped the table causing me to jolt and spill some of my coffee.

Troy abruptly stood, dropping his fork, chair falling back, and screaming as his hands frantically slapped his already messy bed head.

Leo’s laughter was something I’ve never been able to resist he was childish and found joy in simple things and even though I spilled some of my precious coffee I couldn't hold the scowl on my face.

“Leo, you are lucky that was entertaining because you made me spill my coffee.” I glared but he only smiled proudly.

“You’re such a jerk Leo!” Our brother shouted Before storming out of the room leaving a plate of eggs just begging to be eaten.

“So last day of classes before break, you excited?” mom snuck up behind making all three of us jump.

“No, I still have to work next week.” Leo grumbled stuffing food in his mouth.

“What about you Charlie?”

“I’ve got Monday and Thursday off.” She shrugged not looking at all excited