The Dance

Chapter Thirty-Two

Unedited

Recap:

“I-I have a question for you...” her heart started to skip beats. Ethel’s eyes twitched in nervousness. She could feel her hands become clammy as the question she had for Zeus was at the tip of her tongue. Her mind kept telling her to just spit it out, but she couldn’t. With a twist, Ethel turned around, losing all courage. She was only able to walk about two feet away before a hand gripped her arm.  

“Please, don’t be afraid to ask me something...” Zeus whispered in her ear.

A blush crept up her face and made her ears feel as if they were on fire. “Z-Zeus ... do you love me?”

<><><><><>

With Ethel’s back to Zeus she could feel his hot hand still grasping hers, even after she questioned his love for her. His long pause was making her regret asking him. Ethel’s mind told her she was a fool, but her heart was beating so hard and waiting for him to say the words she so dearly wanted -- needed to hear.

A heated exhale left Zeus’ mouth and fanned Ethel’s ear. “... Ethel ... I d-don’t love you.”

She suddenly gasped for air, as if she wasn’t breathing before his reply. In reality the gasp was a reflex to his harsh, but true words. With a yank, Ethel managed to rip her wrist from his hold. Immediately, her wrist became cold from where he had his grip on her.

“Ethel,” his voice dipped in sorrow, but she didn’t want to hear it.

Hurriedly, Ethel sprinted down the hall. She went to round a corner, but ended up running into someone in the process.

“Whoa, slow down there,” Gram humouredly stated.

Ethel’s face turned at least ten shades of red from embarrassment. “S ... Sorry,” tears started to stream down her cherry colored cheeks.

Gram gave her a frown, “What’s with the tears? It’s all cool, I’m alive,” noticing his words weren’t helping he sighed in frustration. “Listen, I was actually looking for you,” he spoke as he tried to divert her melancholy filled thoughts on another subject.

Ethel’s eyes danced around the hallway, avoiding Gram’s gaze. “W-why are you here ... or e-even looking for me?”

Gram smirked. “Well, I just enrolled here ... While I was signing up for school here I learned that there is a dance this Friday.”

In the corner of Ethel’s eyes she could see Zeus was coming towards them. “Yeah, and?” She rushed in hopes Gram would get straight to the point and let her escape before Zeus came over.

“Will you go to the dance with me?” Gram asked.

Ethel caught in her peripheral vision that Zeus had stopped advancing towards them. She figured he was in earshot and heard Gram. As her two front teeth started to nibble at her bottom lip, Ethel wondered if it was wise to accept Gram’s offer. “Uhhh ... Yeah, I guess.”

Gram looked over Ethel’s head and evilly smirked at Zeus who was fumed. “Good.”

<><><><><><><>

The days seemed to fly by and before Ethel noticed it was Friday night, in other words,  one hour before the dance. Currently, she was in her room with Nyla and Rachel, who were both dressed in their dresses.

Nyla had her long brown hair curled, make-up was simple, just some eyeliner, mascara and some grey glitter eye shadow that matched her dress.

Rachel had straightened her blonde hair. As for her make-up, it was even simpler then Nyla’s, with just eyeliner and mascara. Her attire was a pink cocktail dress with black lace.

“Ethel! Please stop blinking!” Nyla pleaded with her friend as she was trying to apply mascara.

Ethel releases a sigh in frustration. She hated all this make-up and the green silk gown she was wearing felt like it was about to pop in the midsection. “Excuse me for not actually enjoying this!” Ethel snapped.

“There! Finally!” Nyla celebrated when she was finished.

Rachel started to tear up at the fact that her sister, Ethel, looked beautiful. “Awww, I’m gonna cry!”

Ethel rolled her eyes, “please, don’t start. Mom cried a river when she saw the dress, no more tears. Please!”

Rachel held back the water works and just smiled.

Ethel who hadn’t even looked in the mirror was wondering how she looked. Seeing as her best friend and sister were done with their little make over towards her, Ethel began to twist around and face the mirror.

Nyla gasped when she saw her friend was trying to get a sneak peak in the mirror. “No! You can’t look yet!”

Ethel furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, she thought everything was done. What more could they want to put on her?! “What is it now?” She whined.

Nyla rolled her eyes to the back of her head before walking over to a case she had brought. Lifting the top of the case Nyla reached in.

Rachel knew exactly what Nyla was getting.

Ethel on the other hand was lacking knowledge.

“We can’t really go to a masquerade dance without masks!” Nyla stated as she turned around and held three masks in her hand.

One was without a doubt for Nyla, with silver glitter coated the mask. Small, white pearls lined the frame of the mask. It screamed: Nyla.

Another mask in Nyla’s hand was white with black lace, Ethel figured that that mask belonged to Rachel.

As Ethel glanced at the final mask, her jaw dropped. It was a forest green color, much like her dress, with a black Victorian lace border around the eyes and rim of the mask. A dark, blue green feather was adorned at the top left corner.

“Rachel and I skipped last class today. We went in search of the masks.”

Ethel slowly walked over to Nyla and plucked the one that was clearly meant for her. She held it in her hand and noticed that it was very light. With a small smile she pulled the elastic around the back and carefully placed it on her head.

Nyla grinned from ear to ear, “Now you can look in the mirror.”

Slowly Ethel retreated towards the mirror with her head bent down and gazing at the floor. When she was mere inches from it, her head gradually rose. Soon, before her was a beautiful looking woman. With a long dress, cascading down to the floor, and a mask that matched it.

She also noted that her normal red hair was in a loose bun in the back. But a few, curled strands fell in the front of her face.

“I wanna cry! But my make up will be ruined and I promised not to!” Rachel proclaimed as she approached Ethel from behind.

“Stop with the dramatics sis,” Ethel urged.

Rachel just huffed at the fact that her sister wasn’t getting as emotional or understanding that Ethel looked so gorgeous right now. It wasn’t that Rachel didn’t think her sister was always pretty, but as Ethel stood there in front of Rachel, she couldn’t help but admire her sister.

Soon the doorbell rang through the house.

Nyla and Rachel both squealed.

“It’s time!” Nyla stated.

The three of them made their way to the front door where their three guys were all standing in black tuxes and plain black masks. Each one of the guys smiled as their dates came closer and they all got a view of the ladies.

“You look very nice tonight,” Gram whispered to Ethel.

She started to blush and giggle. Though her heart was sinking for she longed for his words to be Zeus’.

Part of her had been praying all week that Zeus would walk up to her and say he didn’t mean it or maybe that he wants her back. But nothing came, in fact if memory served Ethel right; she hadn’t seen Zeus in a few days.

Where had he been? Was he avoiding me? Ethel wondered.

<><><><><><><><>

Zeus stood in front of the mirror and was looking at his attire, which consisted of a black tux, with a white button up shirt, and a black tie.

“Where have you been?”

Turning around Zeus saw his father at his doorway. Zeus put a innocent, puzzled look on his face. “What do you mean?”

“You haven’t been home for the past day or so. Where did you go?”

Zeus released a sigh as he prepared to lie, “I stayed the night at a friend’s house.”

Frank, Zeus’ dad, nodded, knowing his son wasn’t being honest. “Son, I hope you are doing good here and not getting involved with people you shouldn’t. We both know what happens when you hang out with the wrong people.”

“Dad, chill, I know what happened last time, trust me, I’ve learned my lesson.”

“Good, now your date is down stairs and I think if you mother spends on more second with her you might have a dead body as a date.”

“D-Date?!” Zeus quizzed knowing he hadn’t asked anyone to the dance, for he wanted to go solo.

“Yes, your date. She showed up here like five minutes ago.”

With a quizzical and confused expression Zeus took off to the living room where he found his mom and … Prissy.

Once Zeus had entered the room Prissy looked up with a smile. “Hey Zeus!”

Her voice was like nails on a chalkboard for Zeus. He really couldn’t stand being in the presence of someone, especially the girl who allowed Ethel to get hurt by a horse.  

“What are you doing here?” Zeus hissed.

Prissy ignored his question, “it was nice meeting you Mrs. and Mr. Miller, have a nice night. Oh and remember Mrs. Miller you need to get some plastic surgery for those wrinkles, they are not attractive to look at.” Prissy exclaimed and then looped her arm around Zeus.

Prissy and a dumbfounded Zeus walked out of his house. But the moment Zeus closed the front door he turned to face her. “What the hell are you doing here?”

Prissy smiled and then opened her clutch purse. She ended up pulling out an envelope. “He said for me to give this to you.”

Eagerly Zeus snatched the envelope and opened it. Soon his eyes scanned the contents of the envelope and saw it was a letter. Pulling it out he read it.

Zeus,

Tonight is the night that you pay for your sins, for what you did to me and my family … I’ve waited a long time to give you the payback you deserve.

I know about your dirty dealings and that you were a part of what happened that fateful night.

What happened to my dear Anna will happen to Ethel.

There is no saving her … Consider her already dead.

And you my friend are as dead as she is, because once I am done with her, I shall find and kill you.

Revenge, don’t you love it?

From yours truly,
G

<><><><><><><><><><>

Only three more chapters left!!!!

Like?

Happy?

Sad?

What do you think?