Insecure

Chapter Three

“Ethel!” Rachel called out to her sister, when she saw her in the crowd of people. Ethel raced over to her sister. “There you are! I found my wallet in my purse but thank you for looking in the car for it. Hey, I want you to try on this.” Rachel said shoving a dress at Ethel, who was nervously glancing over her shoulder to see if the guy was still following her. Rachel gave Ethel a questioning look as to why Ethel seemed so nervous.

“I will try it on, only if you promise that if a blond guy, with brown eyes asks if you know where I went … Tell him you think I left the store.” With that Ethel ran into the changing room that was behind Rachel. Ethel knew that Rachel would tell the boy that, because Rachel was so thrilled that Ethel was agreeing to try something on, especially a black, strapless dress.

Minutes later, Ethel peeked her head out from the dressing room to see Rachel smiling.

“Come on out, your lover boy just ran out the store.” Rachel said to Ethel, who grinned thinking of how her sister was able to get rid of the adventurous boy.

“Thank you for telling him I left the store.” Ethel said before coming out of the fitting room. Rachel dropped her lower jaw. Rachel was jealous at how the sexy, black dress looked on Ethel.

“Damn, you look hot!” Rachel stated to her sister. Ethel shyly let her red hair fall in her face.

“No, I don’t. This dress shows my back.” Ethel muttered as she looked around the dressing room hall, hoping that no one would see her in this revealing dress.

“So?” Her sister questioned.

“You know … I have scars, people will comment.” Ethel said in a low voice. Rachel sighed dramatically.

“If people say anything you know they have me … and daddy to face.” Rachel said, with a hint of annoyance. Rachel knew people said things to her sister, and Rachel could do nothing to the people but threaten them. To protect her sister, Rachel even made sure she was very popular in school, and had high ranking power. That’s why Rachel buys designer clothes every week, so she can stay ahead of the fashion changes and keep her perfect looks and high social status.

Admittedly deep down, Rachel would love to walk into school in sweats and tussled hair. Reading books would consume Rachel’s days and nights, but that was not what someone with her status could do. No, she had to act like she wasn’t paying attention in class, go to parties and have everyone love her.

Ethel never understood her sister’s values in life and why Rachel did what she did. But all Ethel knew was her sister was like a hawk when it came to protecting her from the harsh world.

“Okay, now, please go change back into your other clothes so I can buy that beautiful dress.” Rachel said.

“Were you too tired to try it on?” Ethel asked, thinking her sister was going to buy it for herself. Rachel shook her head.

“No, it’s for you silly.” Ethel went wide eyed at Rachel's words.

“W-what?” Rachel smiled.

“Daddy’s college buddy, Frank, and his family are moving into town. Tonight dad is having a BBQ with Frank, his family and a few others. That is who dad meant by special guest.” Rachel informed her sister.

“Oh.” Ethel lowered her head thinking of how shy she will be when she meets the new people. She hated how shy she could be, and it irked her that her dad didn’t tell her who exactly the special guest was. Here Ethel thought for the past hour that the special guest was none-other than her grandmother. But she was wrong.

Ethel then realized that she should be thanking her sister for getting rid of the boy with the hazel nut colored eyes.

“Thank you, Rachel for getting rid of that boy.” Rachel chuckled and bit her bottom lip. I could see her expression change to guiltiness.

“Ha-Ha … About that...”