He Has A Past

Chapter Fourteen 

David sat down on this Queen Size bed. The silk covers engulfed him and his wife. Mary smiled slightly before leaning over and placing her head on her husband’s chest. She felt him breath in and out. Mary also noted the rhythmic sounds of his heart. He let out a sigh before slowly rubbing his wife’s head in an affectionate way. 

“Mary, I don’t think we should have let Zeus stay here.” David stated. Mary lifted her head and looked into her husband’s eyes.

“Please tell me you are not second guessing your own decision.” She quizzed. David gazed at his wife, unsure how to answer her. He knew the truth would send her up a wall. Yet, he was really regretting letting that troublesome boy in the house, even if it was Frank’s child.

“Mary, you know very well what that boy has done in the past. It’s the main reason why Frank and his wife moved here. Zeus is bad news, especially for Ethel.” David mentioned to Mary. She gave him a knowing nod.

“I agree he does have a past, but everyone does. I have one, as you know … and so do you, if memory serves me right. But David, you know as well as I do that everyone makes mistakes.”

“How do we know he won’t repeat what he has done before?! And this time drag Ethel with him?! She is too pure and innocent … too naïve.” David admitted.

“Maybe that is what he needs.” Mary stated.

“What?! He needs someone pure and innocent so he can strip her of it?” David exclaimed. His wife gasped.

“That is not what I meant David! You know very well he would never do anything like that to her. I can see it, he likes her. Ethel tries to mask it, but she likes him too.” David groaned at that. “He will not hurt her.”

“Physically maybe, but mentally. He will soon have her wrapped around his finger, and then he will break her heart like a twig … Come morning, he leaves.” David sternly said. Mary sat up at his words. She began to shake her head.

“No, he is not leaving. Ethel needs him and he needs her, now more than ever. David, baby, can’t you see she for once likes someone who likes her back! I will not let you ruin it for her. So you, mister, can leave.” Mary told her husband. He raised an eyebrow.

“What?”

“You heard me, off to the couch. I will not have you in the same bed as me.” David was shocked at his wife’s words.

“You can’t kick me out of my own bed.” He argued. Mary raised an eyebrow.

“Really? You, David Hazel, will leave even if I have to force you to.” Mary stated firmly.

“Oh, yeah, how do you think you will be able to do that?” Mary was waiting for him to say that. She leaned down and made it look like she was going to kiss him, but instead went to put her lips to his ear.

“Then you can find other means to get your dinner.” She said. Her eyes were completely serious as she looked down at her husband. She knew that there was one thing he couldn’t live without … her food.

David went wide eyed. “You wouldn’t.” He quizzed.

“Yes, yes I would.” She asked him. He sat up.

“Fine he can stay, one week, that is it, and her door must be open every minute of the day … I take that back, I am taking that damn door off the hinges … But Mary, if in the week I give him, he screws up and does one thing I don’t agree with, he is out of this house faster then he came.” David said. Mary sighed knowing that what her husband said was true. But she held a grin back knowing she won.

David leaned back down and stretched out in his bed. His eyes wandered to his wife, wondering when she was going to lay down too.

“Oh, hell no, you are still sleeping on the couch tonight.” David went wide eyed.

“Huh?”

“It’s punishment.” She said.

“For what?”

“For trying to override my choice and for thinking I was doing something that would endanger my daughter.”

“Honey, we have it solved. He can stay for a week.”

“I know, and I appreciate that. But what I don’t appreciate is the process it took me to get you to say okay. So grab a pillow and go, I need my beauty sleep.” Mary stated with a smile of satisfaction. David groaned and reached for a pillow.

“You are evil, you know that?” He asked. She chuckled.

“I know, but you love me.”

“I do … and I thought you did too.” He said as he slowly made his way to the bedroom door.

“I do love you, but now you know, trust the wife. She knows best.”

“Of course, I should have remembered.” David smiled before leaving the room.