Special Guest, Get Ready

Chapter One

16 year old, Ethel Hazel, sat at the dining room table, looking through a fashion magazine her sister, Rachel, had bought for her. She rhythmically flipped through the magazine, like a person who was simply browsing would do, stopping every once in awhile when something caught her attention.

She sighed when she reached the end of the magazine, pushing it away from her. Ethel got up and went into the kitchen. She was to make herself something to eat, when the front door opened and the sound of her father’s heavy footsteps echoed through the living room, and into kitchen. Ethel eagerly watched the doorway, waiting to see her grey haired father peek from around the doorframe.

When her father entered, she sighed. “Daddy!” She said a big smile on her face as she launched herself into his open arms. Ethel didn’t care if this was not the way 16 year olds act when they see their dad, because Ethel loved her dad more than anything. He made her unbearable days so much better, just by being there for her.

David chuckled, wrapping his arms around her waist, tightening her in a big bear hug. “How’s my sweet pumpkin?”

Ethel backed up and sighed. “Bored.” She admitted with her grey eyes cast down to the marble floor.

“Yo, dad, you home?!” Spencer, one of Ethel’s many siblings, called out from outside the kitchen.

“In the kitchen.” Replied David to his son. Soon, a tall, brown haired, blue eyed teen came in the kitchen. Everyone knew this guy to be Spencer, AKA: Spence. He was two years younger than Ethel, which made him to be 14, yet he acted like he was 18 and could do whatever he wanted.

“Hey, dad … Ethel.” Spencer said nodding towards his sister, who smiled back.

“I’m spending the night at Oscar’s house.” Spence informed his dad.

“Like hell you are! You need you mom needs help tonight.”

“Mom said it was fine, plus it’s not like she doesn’t have plenty of helping hands around here. I do have four other siblings.” Spencer said with annoyance. He thought his dad was constricting his social life with his other friends.

But David knew that Spencer’s friend, Oscar was not the best influence on his son. So, the arguments began, and it lasted for all of three minutes. When Ethel decided that she couldn’t stand the yelling back and forth. They stopped and the son and father came to an agreement that Spencer could stay the night at Oscar’s as long as Spencer stayed and helped out with dinner, for there was a special guest coming.

The words of ‘special guest’ made Ethel wonder who was coming. By the look on her dad’s face she thought that it could be her grandmother. Their dad always says a special guest is coming when their grandmother is coming over. That made Ethel smile, she really loved her grandmother, but due to her grandmother living over a hundred miles away they rarely saw her.

Spencer soon left the kitchen, but not before their dad told him to make sure he looked nice tonight. That made Spencer sigh and walk away.

Ethel began to think of how she wanted to look nice for her grandmother, but the only thing she had nice in her closet was a dress that was two sizes too small.

“I don’t have anything nice to wear.” Ethel admitted in a low voice. Her dad turned to her and gave a warm smile.

“Sure you do, what about that dress Aunt Trish bought you last year?” David asked his daughter. She looked at the floor.

“It’s too small.” She muttered.

A new voice had them turning their heads to the doorway. “Then come with me!” Rachel, Ethel’s older sister, suggested. Ethel shook her head ‘no’ and examined her sister who was dressed fashionable, as she always was. Envy slightly fell over Ethel as she gazed upon her sisters smooth forearm skin. It was something Ethel didn’t have much of, due to burns that covered her arms and back since she was three and in a fire.

The thought of not looking like her sister, or others made Ethel insecure. She tugged the long sleeves of her yellow hoodie, hoping to cover the rippled skin that reminded her of the fact, that to her… she was ugly … she was different.

“Where are you going?” David asked his oldest daughter, Rachel.

“Just on a shopping spree. They’ve just got some new clothes at Jay’s Designer warehouse. Then I’m planning on going to Loona’s, which is the French designer that has just opened a store next to Jay’s. I need to get some new jewelry. Nowhere that’ll endanger your precious daughters.” Rachel rolled her eyes at the fact that she knew her dad will want the address of where they are going and the exact time they will be back. That was nothing Rachel and her sister weren’t use to, their dad was a very protective man of his family. At times it come with its benefits and other times it was constricting, being a teenager and wanting to do things, but yet you have a dad that breathes down your neck.

David reluctantly let out a sigh. “Alright.” He said. He looked at Ethel. “You should go with your sister, get yourself a new dress, or something nice.” He encouraged her knowing that Ethel doesn’t get out of the house much after school lets out for the day.

“I have things I need to do...” Ethel wrung her hands in a nervous manner.

“Aw, come on, sis, It’ll be fun! I promise!” Rachel egged her sister on with a bright smile.

“... I-I … Alright.” Ethel finally said.