On The Field

Chapter Twenty-One

At the end of the day Zeus was being dragged my Ace and Spencer to the football field without his permission. He would have been out of their grips and taking Ethel home if she hadn’t had told Zeus to just stop arguing and try out. See, the only reason he didn’t want to go out for the team was the fact that it would take away time from him and her. He was still wary about the whole idea of being on a team, because with it came practice and pressure of games. Zeus was just overall, not really wanting to do it, but admittedly the single idea of beating Beck at his own game made it a little tempting.

Once on the green grass everyone all the players lined up and Ethel slowly with her casted leg retreated to the bleachers. She made sure however that she was on the opposite side as all the girlfriends of the players were sitting. She really didn’t want to get involved with them, after all at least a good amount of them were girls that have made fun of her over the years. She sat down her backpack and looked at the field. Immediately, she spotted Zeus blond hair and smiled as he started to stretch, which showed off his long legs.

She cautiously and intently watched when she saw Beck make his way over to Zeus. Her body dared not to breathe as they glared at one another before Beck spoke to Zeus. By the way Zeus clenched his fist; Ethel knew that Beck’s words were not a friendly. She realized that she was unconsciously leaning forward as if she could lean over and hear them, but they were too far.  All she could do is read their lips, which was not a talent she possessed.

“Blond boy is saying he will not back down. Beck is telling him that he will crush him,” Ethel heard a female’s voice say from beside her.  She turned her head and saw a girl sitting next to her. When the girl saw Ethel was looking her, she smiled a bright smile at Ethel. “I’m Nyla,” she told her. Ethel wasn’t sure how to react so she just nodded her head and focused back on the situation between Zeus and Beck, only to find they were running around the track. “Sorry for bombarding you, I saw that you were watching the new kid and Beck argue. I have learned to read lips.” Ethel’s curiosity got the better of her. She faced the strange girl with a raised eyebrow.

“Why?” Ethel asked her.  Nyla sighed and fiddled with the hem of her Kiss band tee.

“I-I am deaf,” she admitted in a whisper. “I never tell people, because I am afraid they will make fun of me.” Nyla told Ethel with a smile that didn’t reach her eyes. Ethel studied her and then thought about how she would have never guessed the girl was deaf. There was nothing to point it out, but Ethel guess there wouldn’t be. Nyla’s dark blue eyes looked at her, as if waiting for Ethel to speak.

“Sorry to hear that, no pun intended,” with that Nyla giggled and then looked back at the field. Ethel did too and saw that the players were now doing jumping jacks. She examined Zeus as he jumped up and down, but next to him Ethel saw her brother Ace stop his work out and walk over to the Coach. Ace began to argue with the Coach, before Ace snatched the Coach’s whistle.

“Kendall! Jump higher! Use those legs!” Ace yelled and kept whistling the whistle all while the Coach was shouting that Ace give it back. “Decker! You need to swing those arms! You look like a cheerleader! Hamilton! You call that a jumping jacks!”

“Ace Hazel!” Coach shouted as he got a hold of the whistle. “You are to be sitting out the first game!”

Ace beamed and then went running over to Ethel and Nyla. “Nice going Ace,” Ethel muttered as he sat down in front of her panting.

“What? I made the team, you heard him I am sitting out the first game,” Ace stated as he reached beside her for the water bottle he asked her to hold on too. Ethel just rolled her eyes, “Who is she?” He asked glancing over at Nyla.

“I’m Nyla, thanks for asking,” she said with sarcasm. He furrowed his eyebrows at why this new girl he had never seen was being rude towards him. Ethel laughed at the expression Ace had on his face.

“Whatever. Hey, Ethel, I have to say your boy Zeus is totally going to make the team. Beck knows it too because he keeps giving Zeus evil looks.” Ethel tried to hold in a blush that Ace called Zeus her boy, as she reached in her bag and pulled out some chips. Opening the bag she grabbed a few and popped them in her mouth. Moving the bag a little she put it in front of Nyla.

“Want some?” Ethel asked, Nyla shyly smiled and reached in the bag, but before she could get any the bag of potato chips was snatched. Ace held a victory grin as he reached in the bag to get some of the chips. “Ace!” Ethel shrieked. Nyla stood up and snatched the bag before he could even touch the chips.
“I believed she asked me,” with that Nyla sat back down and glared at Ace.  He pouted as she crunched on the fried delights.

“Hey! Break it! Up!” Coach yelled. All their eyes looked at the field. Ethel saw all the players were gathering around Zeus and Beck. With one quick movement Beck was on the ground and Zeus standing over him kicking him. Spencer went over to Zeus and pulled him away. Reluctantly, Zeus backed away but not before yelling at Beck.

“Next time you know when to shut your trap!” Zeus yelled and stormed off the field. Ethel couldn’t help but stand up, and as quickly as she could with her broken leg, she retreated to where Zeus had run off too.

When she reached him she saw he was leaning up against his car with a fumed look. She went over to him and sighed which made him realize she was next to him. He looked over at her and felt himself slowly calm down. “What was that about?” She asked him. With that Zeus’ anger spiked a little at the mere memory of what Beck was telling him back on the field.

“Nothing,” he told her as he reached in his pocket and pulled out the car keys. Ethel dropped it for now and silently got in the car knowing Zeus just need to calm down.

It wasn’t even a second after they got in the house that Ethel’s dad came rushing over to the two of them. His expression was heated as David Hazel’s eyes glared coldly at Zeus.

“You are to pack your shit up and get the hell out of my house tonight!” Yelled David, which left Ethel standing there wondering what the hell was going on.