26

Vicky West

I needed to close the café tonight, though it didn't bother me to have to do it. I hadn't done much other than work at the café for the past few days; I hadn't showed up at the Moulin Rouge, nor had I heard a word from Harry. The nights were lonely, Harry's annoying chatter seemed appealing to me in his absence.

After saying goodbye to Kent, I hadn't tried to get in contact with him. He hadn't been hanging around the café either; so I was a loner those past couple days, and I wasn't content with doing nothing everyday. I obviously enjoyed some free time, but I had too much free time as of late. The days were long, boring, and full of monotonous work. There was a lack of excitement, joy, and cheekiness from a certain person.

Since I didn't really know anybody from Los Angeles, I couldnt' just call someone to hang-out when the monotony got too much to bear.

I took the cloth out, and started scrubbing over the counter. I periodically glanced over at the couple sitting in the corner of the café; the girl was giggling ever so often, while he made a joke every time her laughter ended, sending her into another fit of giggles. They had begun to peak my interest; so I leaned, with my elbow on the counter and my hands supporting my head, to watch them. Luckily, they were unaware that I had been watching them from my spot at the counter.

The girl had blond hair, that slightly curled at the ends, while the boy had black hair styled up in a quiff. They were the only costumers at the moment, and they were adorable together. I liked to look at them, and to see them smiling from ear to ear. They were smitten with each other. Whether they were dating was a mystery, but if they were just friends then they had a wonderful friendship; that much was obvious.

''I'd like to order a Vicky West to-go, please.'' I jumped when I heard a familiar lady's voice.

''Red,'' I gasped, trying - but failing - to steady my breathing. ''What are you doing here?'' I questioned eagerly.

''You haven't been to the club in days, then all of a sudden we heard the whole routine is changed. Judy asked me to do the solo, and I knew she had offered it to you first. Why are you not doing the show tonight?'' Red asked me curiously.

''Because I can't,'' I replied.

Red raised an eyebrow. ''Just because you can't?'' She shook her head in disbelief, clearly not agreeing with the words that had left my mouth. ''I'm not stupid, Vicky. There is something else going on, and you are going to tell me everything.'' She demanded.

''It's more complicated than you think,''

''I have time,'' Red states, folding her hands on the counter as a clear statement she wasn't leaving until I spilled my guts.

''No, the show starts in a few hours, you don't have time.'' I pointed out.

''I could care less about the fucking show Vicky! My friend is not there and I'd like to know why.'' Red exclaimed.

At that moment, I felt happier than I had felt in days. This was a confirmation that Red was, indeed, my friend and someone I could trust.

''Let me get you something to drink, and then we can move to a nicer table.'' Red nodded in agreement before I turned around to get two strawberry milkshakes.

I took a seat in the booth Red had chosen. I handed her the milkshake, and she thanked me nicely. It was strange to tell Red everything. I started with telling her what had happened the first time I met Harry, up until the day we fought. Her facial expression changed from overexcited, confused, cheeky, to sad and it dawned upon me that she was feeling almost every emotion I had felt the last two weeks.