01

Vicky West

I had come to an agreement with my boss about leaving my shift at the café early today. I was determined to be punctual for the audition, so that meant coming to work earlier in order to make up for the time I would be missing at the end.

Veronica - my overexcited employer - had agreed, with joy, that I would come in four hours before the initial start of my shift, as well as I would clean the whole café, if she let me leave at 11 AM. She was very accommodating.

"Bye Veronica! Have a nice day!" I yelled to the old lady behind the cash register.

"Show them some ass, Vicky!" She jeered. I thanked her, and I left the café happily.

I stepped over the crap that lay in the hallway of my apartment, mulling over my recent move to Los Angeles. I came to the city of angels approximately five weeks ago, moving solely for the opportunity to audition for the Moulin Rouge club a few blocks away. I have been counting down the weeks, days, and quite possibly the hours, until the audition. I loved everything about the Moulin Rouge, I loved the way the woman could dance, sing and entertain the people, enticing them to return. I loved to give a show, so I was encouraged to do this.

My parents lived a couple of hours away, and we had very little contact. I was so busy with getting settled after the move and everything, that I had little time to see them, and I could hardly plan a trip back to my hometown.

I focused on getting ready for my audition, putting my hair into a ponytail and checking myself over in the mirror that hung in my small hallway. This could easily work out. I never doubted my ability to do well in an audition, since I was determined to make it. I wasn't conceited, no, I had just trained for years and now I could finally show people how much I wanted this.

''Keys, keys, keys!'' I hissed under my breath as I threw magazines off the kitchen counter. It was a total mess, but I never thought much of it since I was living on my own. My mom would have made sure this shit was cleaned up, but I wasn't too worried about organization. This job would be my first priority..

When I had finally found my keys, I rushed to my Mini-Cooper that sat idle in the garage. With this apartment, I got a garage of my own. Of course I appreciated that, no one was allowed to be close to my Mini-Cooper. I turned the GPS on, making sure I wouldn't get lost in the crammed and bust streets of LA and miss the most defining moment of my career, and life.

I plugged my IPhone into the stereo, convincing myself that a bit of lip-synching on my way to the audition, couldn't be that bad. Wannabe by the Spice Girls, was making its way through my ears.

The location wasn't any different than I thought it would be, with beautiful women lined up out the door, and down the sidewalk, waiting for their audition. They were all so pretty; long legs, a bit tanned, and beautiful faces. They just had the whole package, and I suddenly felt a lot more self-conscious than I did on the way here.

For fuck sake, Vicky. You have always wanted this, just focus!

I could do this. I was made for this, all I needed to do was accept that and have a good performance. I had put all my time and effort in this. I made my way to the back of the line, impatiently waiting for my turn. The girl who stood in front of me turned around to face me, after a while. Her hair was dark red, and she had a bit of freckles on her face. She was stunning, and I felt my self-esteem drop significantly when I looked at her.

''Hi,'' She spoke. ''I'm Red.''

''Vicky,'' I countered, and shook her hand politely. ''It's quite crowded.'' I stated.