Chapter Twenty-Three - The Unraveling

I hit the ground, managing not to slam my head. Panting, I slowly look up, and my jaw drops open. A sky of stars surrounds me, as does voices.

....Do or do not, there is no try...never tell me the odds...if all you do is fight for your life, then it is worth nothing...traitor!...this isn't going to go the way you think...I'm not going to take the fall, for something I didn't do!...

Bridges line the area around me, white standing out against the darkness.

A figure stands out in front of me. I recognize her.

"What are you doing?" I cautiously ask the figure.

She turns around, shock rendering on her face for only a moment, then turning to anger. "You shouldn't be here," she hisses. "How did you get in here?"

I take in the two portals that she's in front of. One is of a young dark haired couple. They look eerily familiar, as does the sleeping infant that the woman holds. The other...

I want to run straight into it, to not care about the consequences. But...it's my mother. A younger version, but I'd know that smile anywhere. The weird thing is her clothes, instead of her work uniform it's long robes, with a strange flashlight strapped to her side.

"Answer. Me." The figure activates a...sword? The red glow illuminates the floor as I think of an explanation.

"I...I don't know..."

"Right. You don't know. How could you know, how to activate an ancient portal and cross through the mere fabric of time and space?" She and her scary flashlight get closer and closer.

"I touched it and I fell through, I don't know why, all I know is that I'm here, okay?" I say as steadily as I can.

"Likely story. I have looked for far too long and after everything I've been through to get here, I will NOT let a little Force Sensitive stop me!" she seethes. "Time is running out for the both of us here. Time to choose."

She's referring to the images.

NOT MY MOM NOT MY MOM NOT MY MOM

In a moment of pure selfishness I make my decision.

"No no no, don't do that one!" I point to the couple. "You can't!"

She looks at me, a smirk creeping onto her face. "Well then, if you insist."

She steps into the portal, and then the voices are silenced, the stars stop shining, and I freeze in place, as if someone hit pause. Then the night turns to day, and I'm sent back to the beginning of everything as it all unravels.