Chapter 36

MY BLUE HEAVEN

I followed Trip down the front walk toward the driveway, asking, "You're bringing your own beer?"

He laughed and answered, "Yeah. Who the hell can afford Rymer's prices?"

I giggled at that as I slid behind the wheel and ditched the shirt. Trip was fiddling with the radio, but I knew the exact second he must have finally looked over at me.

"Jesus, Layla! What the hell are you wearing?"

His mouth was parted, assessing me with a thrilled look on his face, which made me feel ecstatic and nervous and proud all at the same time. I bit my lip to try and keep myself from smiling, which was answer enough for him.

At the bottom of his driveway, I made a right turn, causing Trip to stop ogling me and spout, "Yo! Where you going, dummy? Rymer's is that way."

I kept my eyes on the road, knowing there was no way I'd be able to look him in the eye when I said, "We're not going to Rymer's. We've got some unfinished business to attend to. Just shut up and let me drive."

Without even looking at his face, I could tell that he was figuring things out, registering what was up with the tight, black dress and my evasion of any specific details. A little too confidently, he asked, "Where we going then?"

"Forget it, Chester. You'll just have to wait and find out."

He didn't have to wait very long.

I pulled down a dead-end street only a few blocks from his house and parked the car where the road met the woods. The sun had begun to set and already, the surrounding trees were blocking out any trace of light, hiding us away in a pool of shadow. I cut the engine and Trip grinned that killer smile, surely under the assumption that I'd chosen the secluded place to "park" and said, "Okay, then... I like where this is going..." He leaned over toward me, sliding a hand up my leg and going in for a kiss. I let him do it, but only for a second or two. I knew how easy it was to get swept away once we got going, and letting him nail me in my car was not part of the plan. It was all I could do to tear away.

"Trip, stop."

He looked at me, puzzled, those sapphire eyes searching my face for an answer. "Then why did you-"

"Not here." I was holding back a smile, but he saw my lips twitch. He smiled himself, relieved that I wasn't cutting him off, coming to the realization that I had some sort of better idea.

I bounded out of the car and popped the trunk. Trip came around the back as I was unpacking a few things. "Here," I said, loading his arms with a citronella bucket, pillows and two blankets.

I grabbed the small boombox, the bottle of white wine and stuffed the glasses I'd snuck out of the house in my purse before closing up the car and stepping into the woods.

Trip was a few steps behind me when I heard him tease, "I don't know what you have planned, Lay-Lay, but I wish you would have told me to wear my hiking boots."

I ducked under a branch and responded, "At least you're wearing sneakers. Try traipsing through the woods with these things on."

Trip teased, "Didn't you know where we were going tonight?"

"Ha ha. Yeah, of course. I just didn't think that a pair of clunky old boots would really complement my outfit," I teased. "It's not that far anyway. Right up ahead is this great spot I want to show you... There's an amazing view."

I heard him give a huff. "Well, the view in front of me is pretty amazing already. What, did you pour yourself into that thing?"

I gave a modest smirk over my shoulder, but the truth was, I was loving the fact that I had Trip practically drooling. I knew he found me likeable enough to be my friend and cute enough for us to hook up on occasion, but all that was nothing compared to when he found me desirable. I was overcome with a perverted sense of power, feeling the scales shift ever so slightly, allowing me the upper hand for the first time in our relationship. Not that Trip went out of his way to wield control over me, it wasn't his fault that I'd fallen in love with him. He never led me on or made me believe that we were anything more than what we were, which, in itself, had always been pretty great. But after spending almost an entire year panting after him, it was nice to finally see some sort of balance of power between us, some sort of point scored in my column.