Chapter 24

IMPROMPTU

I don't think the sun could have been shining any brighter that next morning. At least my throbbing head didn't think so. What a lightweight! Three stinking glasses of wine and I was actually suffering a bit of a hangover.

So, when my phone started ringing, I grabbed it off the hook quickly before my ears could explode.

"Hello?" My voice didn't even sound like my own.

"LAYLA! OH MY GOD!"

I held the receiver away from my ear, cursing first into my pillow, then next at Lisa. "Christ, Lis! Why are you yelling?"

Lisa didn't even acknowledge my blasting head and proceeded to launch into the details of her night with Pickford. "He said he loved me, Layla! On our way backstage last night, he just grabbed my hand and whispered 'I love you' into my ear! I couldn't believe it!"

I removed the pillow from my head, sat up and checked my face in the mirror above my dresser. Not good.

"Layla, are you listening? Pickford told me he loved me!"

I gave my skull a good shake and finally tuned in to what my friend was saying. I'd known that Pick had held off saying those three little words throughout the entirety of their relationship. He always explained that he'd never said it to any girl before and he wasn't planning on just throwing something like that around. I knew it infuriated Lisa, but she always made it seem like it was no big deal.

I guess, of course, until he actually said it.

"Lisa, that's amazing. I'm so happy for you guys." I fluffed up my pillows and sank back into them. "So, what, are you guys back together?"

Lisa gave a dreamy sigh on her end. "Yeah. I guess so."

I didn't want to rain on her parade, but it's not like their situation had suddenly changed. "But what about, you know, California?"

She was silent for a moment, then tried to sound chipper as she answered, "Well, we talked about it a lot last night and I mean, Pickford's right. Why wouldn't we at least make the most our time until he leaves for school? I mean, August is still three months away. Why wouldn't we just stay together until then?"

It was the first sensible thing she'd said in regards to her relationship with Pickford- a point of view I'd tried to convince her of myself during their seemingly premature breakup- but I wondered why she'd suddenly seen the light. "Why now, Lis? What's so different this time?"

She gave me an impatient, "Duh. I've been an idiot, okay? I admit it. I was an idiot. There. Are you happy?" She started laughing, and I couldn't help but laugh along with her.

I sure as hell wasn't looking forward to part two of The Big Breakup all over again in August, however.

Her tone changed, so I knew what was coming next. "So... On to more important business. WHAT HAPPENED WITH TRIP?"

I didn't even know where to start. We're friends again? I know I'm still in love with him? It's okay that he's not in love with me?

But I opted for the more evasive route. "We're okay. We had a really great time last night. He took me to the wrap party and I got drunk off the Ferrantes' homemade wine. I have the worst hangover!"

She laughed at that, saying, "Jeez. The theatre fags throw one hell of a party, huh?"

I reminded her that her boyfriend's sister was a "theatre fag", and could have just let the whole subject go at that. But something didn't feel quite right about it. I laughed and said, "Actually, a few of them were really nice. Heather's an absolute sweetheart."