Chapter 4

GETTING LUCKY

After final bell, I ran into the girls' room with my bag of clothes. I'd settled on a pair of flat-front black slacks and a pale pink silk blouse. I ditched my Wigwams and slipped into a pair of black ballet slippers before taming my hair down a bit with a brush. I had to be careful not to overdo it, because too much brushing would cause that armor of Aqua Net to start flaking, making me look like I was The Dandruff Queen. I took a final look in the mirror and decided that I looked professional. At the very least, I looked respectable. And definitely a little older.

By the time I stepped outside, most of the kids had already cleared out, which was a good thing. It wasn't a long walk over to the strip mall, but it really sucked to be a senior without a license and risk getting caught hoofing it around town. The first four weeks of school were turning into the longest of my life. I suppose Lisa could have driven me, but she already had a job working at the bakery right around the corner from where we lived and I didn't want to make her late. She wouldn't have had enough time to schlep me in the opposite direction, fight through the mosh of cars at the mall and still make it to her job by 3:00. No big deal. It was a nice day out and I didn't mind the walk.

I got about ten steps away from the parking lot when a black Bronco pulled up beside me. The windows were tinted and only cracked an inch, enough to allow me to hear some creepy old dude ask, "Hey, little girl. You need a ride?"

I'd been in these situations before. The best thing to do when confronted with a pervert is to simply ignore them. Just pretend not to hear them. Which is exactly what I did as I kept walking, hoping the freak would just go on his merry way and find some other, more stupid girl to lock in his basement.

But this pervert wasn't going to be shaken so easily. "Hey! Little girl! Do ya want some candy?" I started to slide my hand into my purse, fishing around for my mace keychain just in case. But then, something about the way he started laughing made me do a double-take and turn on my heel. When I did, the Bronco's window slid down, revealing Trip in the midst of cracking himself up.

"You idiot!" I yelled, laughing and smacking the door of his truck. "I thought you were a creepy old man, you jerk!"

Trip could barely contain himself. "I know! I thought you were gonna start running. Holy shit that was funny."

I gave him an "oh really" look.

"Running, huh? You should have been so lucky." I pulled the keychain canister of mace out of my bag and held it up for him to see.

That sobered him up pretty quick. "What the? Is that mace?"

I gave him a smug smile and said, "Yes. And I would have used it, too." When he looked impressed, I decided to lose the false bravado. "I'm really glad I didn't have to, though. Jeez, you scared the hell out of me."

He winked at me, calling a truce. "Sorry. Hey, where you going? I'll drive you."

Truth was, I really wanted to get in Trip's truck. But I also really didn't want him to think that I really wanted to.

"Um. Actually, I'm just headed over to the mall."

"Doing some shopping?"

"Nope. Looking for a job."

Trip nodded his head in approval. "Good for you. Hey, c'mon. After scaring the hell out of you, the least I can do is give you a ride. C'mon. Hop in."

Well, when you put it that way...

I rolled my eyes then stepped up into the passenger seat.

"Where to, Miss Daisy?"