Chapter 8

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

I spent the next couple of hours hanging out with some girls from my art class. Just as we decided to start a game of Quarters, Lisa grabbed my arm and pulled me over to a more private corner of the kitchen. "Oh my God, Pickford's here!" she managed to whisper-scream in my ear.

Pickford was Penelope Redy's twin brother, but I didn't really know him too well. Lisa had been eyeing him up since the first day of school. He'd shot up about six inches and apparently spent the entire summer vacation lifting weights, because he showed up for senior year looking like a completely different person. Tall, dark and lean, with just enough muscle to not appear lanky. He wasn't really my type- I'd recently been displaying a particular affinity for blonds- but he was definitely cute. It wasn't easy to transition, but Pick was always a well-liked guy and with the new abs and attitude, Lisa figured it wouldn't be long before he sidled on in to our group. That he'd shown up at Rymer's was an encouraging start.

I asked, "Where is he?"

Lisa nodded her head in the direction of the living room. "In there, I think. Peek out casually and see if you can see him. But don't be obvious!"

I leaned out the doorway and scanned my eyes across the living room for Pickford. It didn't take long to find him as he was a full head taller than the rest of the kids in the room. "Yep. There he is alright. I'll call him over so you can smooch him. Hey Pick!"

Lisa threw her hand over my mouth, saying, "Shut up, you retard!" and dragged me back behind the kitchen wall.

She still had a hold on my mouth, so I licked her palm.

She pulled away quickly, wiping her hand on her jeans. "Ewww! You're so gross! What's your damage, anyway?"

"Um, okay, Heather. Did you just seriously ask me what my damage is?" I cracked up, then added, "That's what you get for trying to smother me with your freakish paws."

Lisa held a hand in front of her face, inspecting it for flaws, saying, "Maybe they're not dainty, but they're not freakish. You're the freak."

"You are."

"You are, Jerk."

"Don't call me Jerk, Oven Mitts."

"Don't call me Oven Mitts, Janis Joplin."

"Yeah, well, up your nose with a rubber hose."

"Ha! Up your ass with a piece of glass.You'd love it."      

"Yeah? Well, you love Pickford Redy."

Lisa stopped laughing and looked at me wide-eyed. "Shit. Yeah, I totally do," which cracked me up all over again.

* * *

Most of the time, the purposes of a high school party were to socialize, drink and hook up. The latter of which I was reminded of while waiting in line for the bathroom as Coop Benedict tried to stick his tongue in my ear.

Cooper and I had been close friends for like, ever. He was really cute and we'd gone out a few times, but we'd realized we weren't destined to be the next Bruce and Demi. Sometimes, we'd get drunk and make out, but that night, he was just too drunk and I wasn't digging his sloppy proposition.

Thankfully, Sargento came out of the bathroom just then and I told Coop he could get in there ahead of me.

He wobbled on his feet for a second and said, "Why don't we both go in?"

I told him no, that was alright.

He put a hand against the door frame and slurred his next words. "C'mon, Layla. You looso hot in that hibbie shirt. Come in w' me."