Chapter 24

"Mom, I feel a bit dizzy," said a 6-year-old Anna.

I squinted at her. She was lying on the couch with a blanket warped around her. She had been unwell for a few days now, spending her time snuggled up on the sofa.

I stroked Anna's hair and felt her forehead. She was sweating, but had tiny goosebumps on her arms from the cold.

"Anna, sweetie, you just have the flu. You'll be feeling better in a couple of days," I said.

"Okay." Anna sighed, and closed her eyes.

I acted calm but inside I was worried about her. The doctors had told me that if Anna had shown any signs of being unusually unwell, I should take her to the hospital. Normally I wouldn't be worried, Anna had been sick before. But never longer then 2 or 3 days. Anna had been ill for at least 4 days and didn't seem to be getting any better.

I knew deep down that it was possible that Anna could have cancer, it was always possible since the day I found out I was pregnant. But the concept just seemed so unreal now that she had reached 6 years old.

"Hey Anna,I'm going to take you to the hospital. Get your shoes on." My mouth was working but my brain didn't seem to register the words I was saying.

"What?" Anna asked sleepily.

"Don't worry it's just, uh, a checkup."

Anna obediently got her shoes on, but as she was reaching for her coat she started to sway. I rushed to her, as fast as you can with an oxygen tank attached to you, and caught her. She blinked a little then tried to stand again but her legs wouldn't support her weight.

"Mom?" Anna asked worriedly.

"It's fine Anna, just sit down on the floor while I get your blanket." I said, forcing myself not to stutter.

I got Anna's blanket off the couch and wrapped it around her. Together we hoisted her up and I helped her walk towards the car. As I drove to the hospital I could see Anna's eyes starting to close.

"Anna!" I said sharply and she jumped. "Don't go to sleep."

"But Mom, I'm tired!" whined Anna.

"Just stay awake for a little longer please honey."

"Okay," Anna sighed.

We finally got to the hospital and I helped Anna out of the car and walked her to the main doors of the hospital. I sat her down in the waiting room and went to speak to the receptionist.

"Hi, um, my daughter is feeling very unwell and I think she needs to see a doctor," I said.

"You don't think she just has a cold?" the young receptionist asked me like I was an idiot.

"No, it's ah-complicated. My name is Hazel Lancaster, check my file."

The receptionist typed my name into the computer and searched me up. She read a bit before looking up.

"I see," said the receptionist, a little more gently now. "Wait here and a doctor will see you as soon as possible. Make sure to notify me if there is any changes in your daughters sickness."

I thanked her and went back over to Anna. Anna seemed a little more awake now, and was reading a book that was in the waiting room. Not long after, a doctor appeared and called our names. I followed him to a room while Anna stumbled along beside me. Once Anna was lying on the bed, the doctor spoke.

"Miss Lancster, me and the team are going to perform some tests on Anna and do a couple of routine check ups. Is that alright?"

I nodded. Anything to ensure Anna was okay. 

"Great, so could I please ask you to leave the room. Come back in 2 or 3 hours, we should be finished by then."

I turned to say goodbye to Anna but she was already asleep. 

I sat outside the hospital room in a hard, uncomfortable plastic chair. The windows were covered with blinds so I couldn't see what they were doing to Anna. Once an hour had passed, I sighed and got the lift downstairs. There was nothing to be gained from sitting in a chair for 3 hours.

I got downstairs and opened the doors to the hospital canteen. It was buzzing with hospital patients and doctors, all getting food. It reminded me of getting school dinners when I was younger.

My stomach rumbled, and I knew I needed to eat something, although I felt faintly sick. I stood in the long queue until I reached the dinner lady. She was joyful and bouncy, offering me salad and a juice box. I smiled  gratefully and went to pay.

"I 'll have the fish please," I heard the man say next to me.

I reconized that voice. I turned to my right and saw a man with puffy brown hair and square glasses. He looked at me too. 

"Hazel? Hazel Lancaster?" he asked.

"Dr.Green!" I exclaimed.

"Well, I'm not techinacly your doctor anymore. You can call me John."

"John..." I giggled. "It doesnt sound right!"

Dr. Green laughed. "Yeah it doesnt suit me. Call me Dr.Green, I prefer it. So how longs it been? 5-6 years?"

"Yeah 6 years. Wow, can't belive its been 6 whole years since I had Anna."

"Oh yes! Little Anna! How is she?"

"Good, good." I said. "We're just at the hospital for a little check up."

Dr.Green nodded and grinned, and I did the same. We parted ways and I couldnt help but feel a little skip in my step. Well, metaphoricy, as in real life I was crawling along with an oxygen tank. 

After 3 hours, I went back up to Anna's room. She was sitting up in her bed, and the doctor was asking her questions. She gave me a small wave when she saw me. 

"Ah, Hazel." The doctor pulled me aside and paused for a couple of seconds, but it felt like hours.

"Don't worry, Anna's fine. We think she just has an extende flu, quite common in young children. We have some medicine to hopefully clear up the infection sooner. Potentionally, the bug could last for a whole month but that is very rare. We agree that Anna's infection will only last for a few more days, and the medicane is working well." He gestured to Anna who was awake with shinning eyes.

"Thank you," I said to the doctor.

One the way home, Anna said somethig that surprised me. 

"I know I could have cancer Mom," 

I looked at her schocked, unable to say anything.

"The doctor told me. Anna said simpily. "You shouldn't keep stuff like that from me."

I was still too surprised to form a proper sentace, "I-I, I mean,"

Anna patted my hand. "It's okay, Mom. We're both okay."

Authors Note: Taking ages to  update, only becaue I'm working on a new book for you guys and I'll publish the first chapter as soon as I finish this story. I feel like this story is moving kind of slowly so I might skip a year or two in the next chapter, sorry!