Chapter 3

I hadn't told anybody about the fact that my baby could have Augustus' or my own cancer. I told my parents that the letter was just about my next doctors appointment. I talked to my midwife beforehand and she told me that my next appointment would be in a month and a half for my second ultrasound.

The reason that I didn't tell anybody was because I didn't want them fussing. Mom and dad were already fussing over me with my cancer, then my pregnancy and I just got so annoyed! I wanted to be alone. I was 17 for gods sake, I deserved some privacy.

So now that I was 13 weeks pregnant, it was the end of my first trimester, or whatever they called it. I had done some re-searching on the Internet and apparently I was going to start feeling a little less tired and less sick now. This was good, because I had terrible morning sickness and just slept most of the time.

Also some moms had said that the the first trimester was the most stressful. Well, I don't think so. I was still going to be very stressed throughout my second and third trimester, knowing I could be carrying around a baby infected with cancer...

I tried not to think about that. Buried that thought deep down in my brain. The less I thought about it, the less it seemed true.

The site I was looking on also said I was going to be developing a baby bump soon. This meant people will realise. Ugh.

The only people that knew about my pregnancy was mom, dad and Isaac (obviously Dr. Green and my midwife too). I still had to face the horrible ordeal of telling Augustus' parents. And Kaitlin...what was she going to think? And what would the people at the collage think? I was obviously going to have to take time off before my pregnancy and for looking after the baby. Or should so just quit altogether?

I had to actually look after the baby too. I hadn't thought about that. There would be nappies, bedtime stories, sleepless nights. And what about when the baby got older? There would be school, homework, birthdays.

But what if I wasn't there too see all that? My cancer tumours weren't multiplying but they weren't going away either. I could die before the baby turned one. And what if the baby itself had cancer?

I sighed. My head was sore from all these questions. I had to get my act sorted out. So I drove down to the bookstore and bought a few books on pregnancy, I even bought this book on how to care for your children with cancer.

I then drove to the clothes shops to buy some unisex baby clothes (as I still didn't want to know the gender of the baby). Surprisingly everything was on sale. Why? Because, oh yeah, Christmas was in a week.

I didn't know what I wanted when people asked me. Honestly? I wanted Augustus back. Or I would just like a present from him, too see what he would give me. But I couldn't go around telling people that I wanted my dead boyfriend to awaken from the grave. So I just said to surprise me.

All the pregnancy books said that you should be doing gentle exercise during your second trimester. Obviously I couldn't go swimming or running with my cannula, so I decided to go for a walk around town. Once I got back home, I was feeling a lot better and my head was cleared. I had everything under control...or so I thought.

Christmas was actually okay. I woke up when my parents came into the room, mom screaming.

"W-What?" I answered sleepily.

"IT'S CHRISTMAS!" Mom screamed.

You know how I said Mom was really into random celebrations and stuff? Well when it was an actual celebration she went a bit crazy.

"COME ON! We need to open presents!" shouted Mom, while dad just grinned.

"Jeez, guys, I'm 17," I said moaning.

Mom glared at me.

"Fine! Fine! I'm coming, I'm coming!" I eventually said, hooking myself to my cannula.

When I got into the sitting room, there wasn't many presents under the tree. Mom and dad were in the kitchen, preparing breakfast.

I finally found a large envelope which read 'Hazel'. It looked really lumpy, like things had been stuffed inside it. An envelope. Exciting.

I tore it open and found some pictures of rooms inside. They looked quite nice, actually. Next I found a set of 2 keys.

"Weird..." I thought to myself.

Next I found the letter.

Dear Hazel

This christmas, your mom and dad have bought you an apartment. We realise that you want some of your own space now. You'll be able to move in whenever you want. Hope you like it!

Lots and lots of love
Mom & Dad xxxxxxx

"MOM! DAD!" I screamed.

They rushed in, shouting "Yes, sweetie, what is it?"

"I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU" I screamed, jumping up to give them a hug (well, my cannula made it kind if hard to jump so I actually just slowly crawled up). "It's perfect! Thank you so much!"

They both smiled and muttered something. We stayed in that hug for a while, till Mom had to go check on the pancakes. I sat back down in front of the tree, looking at the pictures of my new flat. It was so amazing. That's when I saw a parcel wrapped in gold paper, hidden behind some other presents. I was curious to see who it was to. So I had a look at the label.

It was to me! Who gave it to me? Maybe Isaac came and dropped it off one day or something. I had a closer look at the label.

To Hazel Grace

Wait a minute...only one person called me that. I studied the writing style more closely and then I realised who it was from. There was no doubt.

It was from Augustus.

Authors note: I'm just the best at these cliff hangers aren't I haha! Don't worry, ill update soon.

Guys comment which gender you want the baby too be! Cause I'm not sure yet.

Also tell me any ideas for future chapters like baby names, what happens with the baby, bad stuff, anything! If you want to tell me a longer idea, or you want your idea to be private then kik me on:

50yearsofdoctorwho