Chapter 21

I sat in an orange plastic chair. On either side of me sat my Mom and Dad, Anna seated on her Granny's lap. In front of us was a large screen which pictures could be projected onto, and a white board with markers.

The test 'results from my operation had finally arrived after weeks in the hospital. I was so nervous and tried to look around the room to calm myself. The room had desks and computers crammed beside the walls, so different nurses and doctors were sitting behind the desks. Even Dr. Green was there, although he was a pregnancy doctor and not a cancer specialist.

I smiled nervously at him, and he gave me a big thumbs up. Then the lights dimmed and everyone's attention was brought to Dr. Jim at the front of the room.

"Today we are going to be discussing the situation of Hazel Lancaster," said Dr. Jim. "We will also talk about any future plans made for Miss Lancaster."

I awkwardly crossed and uncrossed my legs while Dr. Jim rattled through my cancer story. Some new trainee doctors were jotting down notes like they were eager students.

"Now, that brings us up to the present day," concluded Dr. Jim. "The question everyone is asking now is whether Hazel's cancer has left her lymph nodes.

Dr. Jim pressed a couple of buttons on a remote, and a large x-ray was projected onto the screen. I soon realised it was my chest. He then showed everyone more pictures of my blood compared to a healthy persons blood, and talked a bit about my cells.

"So according to these tests, we are nearly completely certain that Hazel has no more cancer cells in her lymph nodes." said Dr. Jim.

I stared at him speechless for a second, them stared down at the floor grinning. I felt Mom and Dad hug me but I could hardly respond. I was so certain the cancer had spread, and now that I had found out the good news, I was too amazed to do anything.

When it came to my illness, I was so used to bad news. So when something good like this happened, I found it difficult to respond.

Dr. Jim talked a bit more about medication, routine check ups, oxygen tanks. Nothing I hadn't heard before. Then suddenly he finished and everyone was walking out the room. I found myself back in the cancer ward, packing up my luggage to go home. I still couldn't believe it. I was going home.

Anna gave me a huge hug when we were back at our apartment.

"Where's your wheelchair?" she asked.

"I don't need it anymore, I got better." I smiled.

"Good!" grinned Anna. "So you're feeling okay now?"

"Yep I'm feeling totally okay." I said.

The next day Anna asked me, "Can my friend Sienna come over today?"

I was taken by surprise but happily agreed. Sienna's last name was Woods, so I searched up her family in the phone book. When I eventually found the number, I reached Sienna's Mom.

"Um, hi!" I said awkwardly. "I'm Hazel Lancaster and I think your daughter is friends with my little girl, Anna Waters?"

"Oh yes! Anna! Sienna speaks about her all the time." she said.

"So anyway, Anna was wondering if Sienna wanted to come over and play for a bit?"

"That'd be great! What's your address?" said Sienna's Mom.

I told her our address and she said that they'd be over soon.

"I think Sienna's coming over soon, Anna," I said.

"Oh yay!" squealed Anna. "I can't wait, I'm going to show Sienna my room and everything!"

Only 20 minutes later, Sienna and her Mom were at the door. Sienna's Mom hugged me hard like she had known me my whole life.

"Hello Hazel!" she smiled. "Oh I'm Carla, by the way. Carla Woods."

Carla had very tanned skin and looked like she went on a lot of holidays abroad. She had eyes of a similar colour to my own and brown curly hair. I expected her to be a lot older then me as I had Anna when I was only 17, but she seemed to be 24, only a few years older then me.

The great thing about them was that they both didn't seem to care about my oxygen tank. Neither of them asked about it or even stared at it like most people did. Carla and Sienna stayed over for ages, and me and Carla got to talking.

"Yeah, Sienna's dad left us before she had even turned one," whispered Carla. "I was in a really bad place then but I'm doing a lot better now. New job, new house, new boyfriend."

I then told her all about Augustus, and we stayed talking for a couple hours. We then realised it was 10.00pm.

"Jesus!" laughed Carla. "Sienna, come here! It's a school night!"

Sienna bounced through into the living room with Anna in tow.

"Mom, can we come and visit Anna again soon?" asked Sienna.

"Sure we can," smiled Carla.

When they left Anna asked me, "Can I get some more friends over soon?"

"Yeah, that'd be great," I said while cooking out tea.

"Okay I want to get over, Shannon and Rachel and Joanne and Katherine and Poppy and-"

I laughed, cutting her off, "Maybe that's a bit too many people for just now."

Authors Note:

Hey guys can you follow @hollybolly_17 on wattpad and read her story, 'trying to survive'. It's kind of like the mortal instruments meets twilight, and I think you guys would enjoy it!

By the way, this story is unedited and when I finish it I'm going to read through all of it and edit it. If you notice any mistakes, could you please leave a polite comment, that would help me a lot.

When I do finish this book, I'm obviously going to tell you guys so please stop assuming that every time I update its the last chapter!

Also, I'm not American so sorry if I write something in British it's just an accident.

vote, comment and message me(: