Chapter 8: Selena Slytherin

“Don’t worry,” I hear a musical voice say, “It’s only me!”

But who is me?

“I’m no one dangerous,” the voice says, “I used to be known here, but I suppose you wouldn’t know who I was…I am long forgotten.”

Who could this be? A ghost?

“You are correct,” the voice says, “I am a ghost, yet not just a ghost. My name is Selena. Selena Slytherin. What is your name, child?”

She steps forward and I see that she is indeed a ghost. But, there is something different about her.  Selena Slytherin seems to shimmer in color instead of the pearly opaque of the other ghosts.

She’s beautiful and looks as if she was rather young when she died. Her clothing shows that she was probably from around the time of the founders, since no one has worn the types of clothing she’s wearing in a long time. She looks very wise and powerful.

“My name is Julia,” I tell her, “Julia Smith. Are you Salazar Slytherin’s daughter?”

“Yes I am Julia,” she says, “I am also the other, less known daughter of Rowena Ravenclaw. I was their younger and only child together. What house are you in, child?”

“I am a Gryffindor,” I tell her proudly, “Do you know what this room is?”

“Oh yes…a brave little Gryffindor,” she says smiling, “Yes, Gryffindors are always very wonderful people. This room, is the Room of Trophies. It is only found by people doubting their family’s background. Little lioness, are you doubtful?”

“My mother didn’t tell me that I was magical until Harry found out, if he hadn’t found out, I don’t know if I would have ever found out,” I tell her.

I don’t know why I am telling her this, but she seems trustworthy, “I found out that I had a whole family she might have never told me about and I don’t know if I trust her as much as I used to.”

“Julia,” she says kindly, “One should always trust ones family. They always want the best for you, even if it involves lies, and by the looks of these trophies, you should be very happy with your family. The Greengrass family is not a family one should be ashamed of. I once believed that my family was a disgrace but then after time, I learned otherwise. Come, I wish to show you something I have only shown to two other people in my whole lifetime.”

She holds out her hand and I take it. It is oddly solid. She spins around, almost as if she is apparating and suddenly we are in a different place of the castle. There is a casket of oak wood in the middle of the chamber and the chamber’s walls show beautiful scenes of nature. Fresh flowers stand on the desk and there are two doors. One seems to lead outside from the sunlight that comes from under it and the other leads to a stable. I walk towards the casket. It is lovely and beautiful pictures of ravens and serpents adorn it.

‘Selena Slytherin

Daughter of Rowena and Salazar

Much Loved Sister of Helena and Gideon

Daughter of Hogwarts

Parseltongue and Birdspeaker

Born June 16th

Died June 16th at Age 30.

“It’s beautiful,” I tell her, “Who else have you shown it too?”

“Hermione Granger and Albus Dumbledore.” she says, “I would like if it remained so.”

“Of course.” I say.