Chapter 15: It All Starts

Author’s Note: I’m so sorry that I haven’t updated in such a long time! Hopefully I’ll be able to update again soon! Hope you enjoy the chapter! And like always, I don’t own any of the characters from the Harry Potter series, they all belong to the wonderful J.K. Rowling.

Julia’s POV:

As soon as I open my eyes I know that today will not be a good day. The sky is gray and rain drips down the window pain. After gathering my books and getting dressed, Rose and I walk down to breakfast.

The boys are already there, gobbling down food, as always. I really don’t know how they aren’t fat; they eat so much and rarely exercise!

Vilaina has taken to eating with us, so I get worried when she hasn’t arrived by the end of breakfast. Vilaina never misses a meal and I can’t see her at the Slytherin table either.

When we arrive at Transfiguration with the Slytherins and Vilaina isn’t there, I get very worried. Where is she?

As the lesson starts, I hear a tap on the window. It’s the owl I used! Hermione must have answered. I carefully inch out of my seat and open the window. I pull her through the window, she’s hurt! Her wing is missing many feathers and she looks exhausted.

When I return to my seat, I read the first of Hermione’s letter:

“Keep the owl, her name is Miri.”

I look at the owl and she looks up at me with her big light blue eyes, almost pleadingly.

I need to do something to help her!

I raise my hand and Professor Elemanta, our substitute today, since Professor McGonagall is ill calls in me.

“Yes Ms....”

“Smith, sir. I’m feeling rather ill; can I go to the Hospital Wing?”

She looks at me, before nodding and saying, “Yes, go on Ms. Stone.”

I pick up my books, wink at Rose and quickly walk out of the room. Of course I have no intention of going to the Hospital Wing, I have to save Miri and I know exactly who can help!

When I arrive at her chambers, Selena quickly lets me in and starts healing Miri. I am thankful that I have such a good friend!

As she heals Miri, I read Hermione’s letter aloud.

“Dear Julia and Selena,” I read, “It would be an honor to help you with this. Unfortunately, I am currently on vacation and will not return for two weeks. I believe that if you can find a book detailing the nature of this plant, I will be able to create an antidote. Good luck and hope to see you soon,

Hermione.”

I sigh and fall back into a plump chair.

“All we need to do is find a book,” I say glumly, “Do you think it’s mentioned in another book?”

“No...,” Selena says, but then excitedly says, “Wait forget that I said that! There was a book that I found when I was still alive and it had a whole chapter on the Periculosi Amaranthi. Unfortunately, the whole chapter of the version I found had been damaged by water. It was called The Thousande One Flora Which Defeat; at least I think that’s what it was called!”

“I’ve heard of it before...” I say.

“Where,” Selena asks, “Surely not here at Hogwarts?”

“No, no,” I say, “At Flourish and Blotts. I’m sure it’s still there. We need to get it. Can you go get it?”

“I can’t.”

“Why not?”

“It’s my only limitation....I can’t leave Hogwarts.”

“But how are we going to get it?”

“I don’t know...I’m really sorry...you should get going. Your friends are looking for you. Here’s your owl, she’s healed.”

“Thanks. Bye Selena!”

I race out of her chambers and up towards the common room. Transfiguration is done now and the only other class we have today is flying lessons.

I drop my things at the end of my bed and walk down to the dormitory.

I’m greeted by a grim faced Rose.

“What’s wrong?” I ask her.

“What’s wrong is that Vilaina is in the Hospital Wing.”

“What? Why?”

“Come on,” she calls.

We sprint up to the Hospital Wing and when we reach it, I am panting and sweat runs down my neck. Rose and I knock on the door and Madame Rosewall creaks open the door slightly.

“I know you want to see Vilaina, darlin’s,” she whispers, “But her mother’s here right now, come back t’morrow and she can see yeh.”

We nod, disappointed, but walk back to the Common Room. Rose tells me about how when she visited Vilaina earlier, Vilaina could hardly speak...I wonder why.

Then an awful thought comes into my mind. The Slytherin Common Room is underground, near Selena’s chamber. What if-what if Vilaina’s been infected by the Periculosi Amaranthi. As I think it, no matter how awful it is, I feel almost certain that this is why she’s in the Hospital Wing.

I can’t let Vilaina die. Selena can’t go to London and Hermione isn’t back yet. I’m the only one who can get the book. I have to do it, tonight.

The hours pass quickly and soon it is 11 at night and I’m lying in bed with Stardust curled up under my arm. The clock ticks and I dread getting out of bed. I still have my clothes on and my new pair of boots are laying right under my bed, ready for my feet. I know that I could get expelled tonight, but I have to do this, for Vilaina.

I sigh and quietly slip on my shoes, inching out of the dormitory. The door creaks as I shut it behind myself and I freeze, hoping that nobody heard it. Hopefully everyone will have gone to bed by now. It’s a Saturday night, so hopefully everyone wants a full night of sleep.

I go down the stairs and quickly walk through the deserted Common Room, hoping that a prefect won’t come down and order me to bed.

As I open the Fat Lady’s portrait, I hear a voice.

“Who’s there?” asks the voice and surprisingly it sounds very familiar.

I freeze, hoping that the person will just go back to bed. No such luck, I hear a click as a light is turned on and turn around to see….

Author’s Note: I left you at a cliff hanger! What do you think? Who is it? As I said at the top, I’m soo sorry for not updating. Thanks for all of the reads I have gotten and I hope you enjoyed the chapter! :) This is dedicated to @TheCrazyMustacheGirl for having awesome stories and being awesome! Go read her stories!