Chapter 21: Sorrow

Julia’s Point of View:

I’m in the Hospital Wing. People are asking me how I feel, but I can’t answer, I can’t hear them; I can only read their lips. Everything feels surreal. How can this be happening? I see her body on the bed opposite me, but all I can think is that she’s asleep or I’m asleep, that this is just a dream. What are they saying to me? Albus and James are shaking me, trying to get me to do something. Why won’t they leave me alone? I blink and everything seems to become unfocused as I collapse.

Rose’s Point of View:

I can’t believe it. I just can’t. How could this happen? And what’s wrong with Julia? Why won’t she talk to me? Julia’s my best friend and now my other best friend is gone, dead, gone forever. Tears stream down my face and all I can do is watch as Albus and James, pale with fright and sorrow, try to shake a response out of Julia. She must be in shock, because she hasn’t said anything since she was brought up here. All I can think is: why, why, why?

Julia’s eyes close and the next thing we know is that she’s lying in the bed, collapsed. I hasten to check her pulse. It’s still there. Phew. I don’t want to lose her, not after what just happened. I can’t believe she’s gone. Forever. I think I just want to crawl up in a bed and die myself.

Oh, Mum’s here now. Maybe she can help us.

“Children,” she says, “I know that you are worried about Julia, but I need you to follow me.”

We obediently follow her, even though I’m very reluctant to leave my unconscious friend.

I’m very surprised when she leads us to the Great Hall, where all of the other students sit in pajamas. She motions for us to join the other Gryffindors and we comply.

Mum stands by the podium and begins, “I’m very sorry to say that tonight Hogwarts lost a great student, and a kind friend. She was someone that many of you may have hated, but for reasons of the past. Some of you befriended her when she regretted her choices and began anew, while others never had a chance and never will. Vilaina Parkinson-Dupont passed away last night. All at Hogwarts will mourn her death and we will hold a funeral in a few days’ time.

 “Now, I called you here to speak to her not only because of Vilaina, but because of the cause of her death. There exists a deadly plant called the Amaranthi Periculosi. This plant entered Hogwarts a few weeks ago through the dungeons. The Hogwarts ghosts, who are the only ones in this school who can see it, reported its existence to me and I began immediately to work to destroy it. Unfortunately, very little information existed about this plant. But, with the help of your fellow classmate, Julia Smith,” What? That must have been what she’s been doing lately, sneaking around and all. We all knew that she couldn’t possibly be visiting Hagrid so often, no matter how nice he is, no one loves him quite that much, “and the Hogwarts ghosts, I was able to find a book with the instructions for a potion to kill this plant. Julia and I completed the potion last night and I recently found out that it was indeed, successful, to a point. No one, other than Vilaina perished because of this plant and according to our ghosts, it no longer has a presence at Hogwarts.”

Normally people would have cheer, but everyone knew that now isn’t a good time to do so...

I can’t believe this happened, I just can’t. Oh wait! Mum’s talking again, “If you have any questions, please write them down and have them delivered to my office by owl. Thank you.”

Then Mum steps off the stage and exits the Great Hall.

Wait! I’ve got like a million questions and she just leaves. Anyways, that might be for the best, I want to check on Julia before I ask any questions. I run through the hallways as fast as I possibly can, not caring that I could get detention for doing so. I have to make sure Julia is okay.

As I run through the door, Julia sits up.

“Julia!” I cry and hug her tightly, “I’m so glad you’re okay.”

“We all are,” says Albus, who must have caught up to me.

“We were scared to death for you,” says Scorpius. Ugh. Bad word choice, Scorpius, bad word choice.

“We’re so sorry,” says James and I can tell that for once, he means it, “If there’s anything we can do to help you, we’ll do it.”

“Did Hermione tell you what happened?” Julia asks and her voice is raspy.

“Yes,” I answer, “She also said that they ghosts had reported that the plant doesn’t exist at Hogwarts anymore.”

“Thank goodness,” Julia says, sinking back down on her pillows.

“Vilaina’s funeral is in a few days,” James says and Julia nods.

“Thanks for being her for me,” she says.

“We’ll be here for you forever,” I tell her.

“Always,” says Albus, which is super cute. Ah! I just want Julia and Albus to be together. Jalbus or Albia forever!

“Thanks,” says Julia.

“That’s what friends are for,” says James. Seriously, I don’t know what’s gotten into James today; I’ve never seen him be so sincere before!

“And cousins,” says Scorpius.

Julia’s Point of View:

As I sit there with my friends, I realize that although I’ve lost one friend to the jaws of death, I have an army of them to support me and even though I will always remember Vilaina and mourn her, I will move past her sadness because of the goodness and kindness of my friends.

What did you think? Will be uploading the next and last chapter soon. Please comment/vote/fan, I really appreciate it!