PROLOUGE

My life wasn’t always bad. It was actually pretty good up until I was 7. I still had things that i thought was awful, when my parents wouldn’t get me the new barbie doll, or my friend had cooler shoes than me. Looking back I realized how great I had it. I had 2 parents who loved me, or so it seemed, and I had friends who cared for me.

A day after I turned 7 my mom left us. She didn’t even say goodbye to me. My dad turned to alcohol to try to forget about what she did to him and he quickly became addicted. One night when i was 8 he came home drunk and slapped me. It has quickly escalated since then. 

For the first few years after my dad turned abusive school was my safe haven, the only place I was safe and sometimes happy. I had friends, I wasn’t winning any most popular awards but I had a group of friends that I could count on to always be there for me, until they weren’t anymore. 

When I was in freshman year a new boy transferred to the junior class. He was quite a bit older than me but i couldn’t help my feelings for him. He seemed like the perfect guy! He was nice, sweet and very handsome. I couldn’t believe it when he asked me out on a date! I was so excited! He picked my up on a friday night in his sleek sports car and we went out to dinner, the whole night was perfect... until the end. 

He took me to this cliff that overlooked new york city, thats where i live. And he kissed me, it started out soft and caring but quickly turned more violent. I didn’t want to stop him in fear of him not liking me anymore. 

Once I realized that he wanted to have sex with me, i tried to stop him, i kicked and screamed but he just kept going. I cried when it was over and he dropped me off at my house, he told me that’d he’d see me at school on monday. 

I told my dad that I got raped and he said that he didn’t understand why someone would ever want to have sex with me, but that i deserved what i got. 

At school on monday everyone was staring at me, like they knew what had happened. When i tried talking to my friends, they all just gave me dirty looks and whispered stuff about me behind they’re hands. 

It felt like something from a bad teen angst movie, but this wasn't something you would just turn off, this was my life. 

After school when i was walking home a couple of boys from my school stopped me in the street, told me that travis told them that i was a “sex kitten” and would “give them some favors” I didn’t understand until they pulled me into an alley and brutally raped me. 

When i got home that day my dad yelled at me for being late and proceeded to beat me up. 

That night was the first time i tried to kill myself. 

After reading all that you could decide to feel sorry for me and give me your pity, or you can keep reading and learn that i don’t need it. Because right now I have a pretty great life. I may have had a lot of troubles getting where i am, but looking back i realize i needed those things to get me where i am today, and thats something that I wouldn’t trade for the world.