Chapter 24

Patrolling the streets was not easy. Benicio had no leads and no clue where to begin his search. But he was more determined than ever to get his wife back. He was out on the road with Big Daddy for hours just driving around Los Angeles. 

        "I'm sorry about this Bennie," his father said apologetically. "I can't help but think this is somehow my fault. If I didn't convince Willie to allow you two to get married then she may still but safe."

        Benicio shook his head. "If you didn't then we wouldn't be married Pop. I love Kenzie," Benicio admitted not taking his eyes off the road. "I want to be with her, besides this isn't your fault. Devaney started this and I am damn sure gonna finish it."

        His last sentence was a definite promise. No matter what Kenzie was not going to die at the hands of that manic. 

        Benicio made a sharp right screeching the tires in the process. They were now passing through Downtown Los Angeles. He could see various couples dressed up in their finest attire walking towards the alleyways. They were ready for a party, completely unaware of the dangers surrounding them. The alleyways had various speakeasy's located in them. This particular part of Downtown LA was a little more busier than usual since Benicio closed down the Hot Spot a week prior. 

        "You ever think about quitting?" Big Daddy asked while looking out of the window.

        "Once or twice," Benicio answered honestly. "But the only thing I can think about right now is finding that bastard and killing him."

        They made a quick turned onto the street that Rosary Academy was on.

        It was in complete chaos. 

        Every building to the school was engulfed in flames as firemen desperately tried to get them under control. Police officers were hauling off hooded men dressed in white robes to squad cars left and right.

        Benicio stopped the car and looked at his father. He could tell they were thinking the exact same thing. Big Daddy and Willie spent a fortune to get the school up and running. It was one of his fathers proudest moments in his life, it made him feel like a humanitarian. 

        "Pop, since when has the KKK been in LA?" Benicio asked.

        Big Daddy shrugged. "Far as I know, they're only in the south."

        Los Angeles had it's own form of racism but the Klu Klux Klan was the most deadly form. And they definitely were not welcomed in Benicio's town as he felt their belief of total racial domination was ignorant. 

        He stepped out of his car as Police Chief Carter was exchanging violent words with one of the Klan members. It was at least eight of them being arrested and shoved in the backseat of cars. Chief Carter was furious as his face was turning  red. 

        "Chief!" Benicio called as he approached him.

        Chief Carter turned around.

        "It's gone," he said angrily. "All gone! They torched the entire school."

        "Whites and niggers don't belong in the same school." a Klan member said while struggling against the Police Officers who had him halfway inside a car. He was pretty small but it was clear he was strong.

        "You shut your damn mouth!" Chief Carter commanded. "My daughter went to this school you son of a bitch."

        The Klan member grinned. "Our white sisters don't need to be held hostage in a school full of porch monkeys."