Chapter 14

"Extra extra, read all about it, Rizzitelli wedding is said to be the biggest event on this side of California. Extra, extra." 

        Kenzie heard the paperboy shout this over and over as he waved a rolled up newspaper back and forth. From the car she could see that his face and clothes were dirty. He looked tired, he must have been at this all day. He couldn't have been no older than eight years old, so why was he selling the filth that was being printed about her. 

        The driver let Kenzie out of the car before he did the same for Benicio. 

        "Extra, extra, read all about it. Rizitelli wedding is said to be the biggest event on this side of California. Extra extra.." 

        Not wanting the city to read another story about her, Kenzie walked over to the paperboy. 

        "Excuse me," She said kneeling in front of him. "How many articles do you have here?"

        The boy scratched his head. "About fifty left Miss."

        Her eyes trailed to the paper in his hand. There was a picture of her and Benicio at their engagement party. They were walking hand in hand as they left the tent. There was so much going on that night, she didn't realize there were pictures being taken of her.

        She instantly began digging in her purse. "I'll take all of them."

        "Gee Miss, it won't do ya any good. My old man says this paper hit every stand this morning."

        Kenzie's eyes bulged. She wasn't sure how she felt about the city reading about her personal life. Especially since the very person she was suppose to be in love with despised her.

        The paperboy's eyes widen as he recognized her. "You're the lady from the paper. It's you." He shouted. Kenzie looked around as he drew unwanted attention to her.

        "Hey, hey, hey. Whats going on over here?" Benicio said walking over. With his Columbia sweater on, he looked like a school boyish knight in shiny armor, he was anything but. 

        The paperboy swallowed hard. Benicio could be very terrifying at times, and this was no exception. "Uh, nothing sir."

        Benicio raised an eyebrow and took the paper from his hand. He quickly skimmed through the article. After seconds of reading he dug into his trouser pockets and pulled out bills.

        "How old are you kid?" He asked.

        The paperboy scratched his head. "I'm seven sir."

        "You go to school?"

        He shook his head. "No sir. My mom died when I was very little. My old man takes care of me and my sisters. It's six of us actually. I ain't in school because he cant afford to feed us every night."

        Kenzie eyes watered a bit. Her heart went out to the little boy. Here she thought her life was rough and this magnificent child proved that there are people who have been dealt a worse hand than hers.

        "What's your name?" Benicio continued.

        "Timmy."

        Benicio tucked the paper under his arm and began peeling off bills. "Well Timmy do you have a problem with the color or my fiances beautiful skin?"

        Kenzie knitted her eyebrows in confusion. She didn't like the way he used the word beautiful, almost as if it was forced out of his mouth.