Chapter 3

Benicio stood in his office in the Hot Spot. He wore one of his many Italian designed navy blue pen striped suits with a matching tie and vest. Benicio prided himself on looking his best, it was what he was known for. It was something his father instilled in him since he was boy. Since he left his father's house he could not help but wonder what the infamous Kenzie Clearwater looked like. All he had to go on was his father's only words; 'She's a beauty'. That didn't help him in the least bit. Earlier in the day he caught a glimpse of her older brother as he picked up their father. It amazed him how fair his skin tone was, they were almost the exact same shade. He wondered if his future wife was the same, it would make the marriage a lot easier from him. 

         He sighed and sat down at his desk. He didn't want to think about her for the rest of the night. He had a busy week ahead of him. The club wasn't the only establishment his father owned. And thinking about his future wife was only causing a burden. 

         The door opened and Joseph 'Joey' Romano walked into the office. Joey was one of the family's well respected hitmen and Benicio's best friend since grade school. He was the perfect combination of Greek and Italian and spoke both languages as well as he spoke English. Having a handsome face with well defined cheekbones and a strong muscular jaw, he looked the part of an average young man with a nice car and clothes, but he was a ruthless cold blooded killer that eliminated anyone the boss pointed out to him. 

         Joey sat down in a lounge chair across from Benicio, who poured two glasses of gin. He took his glass and emptied the contents in one big gulp without flinching.  

         He peaked at his friend with a raised eyebrow noticing the smug expression on his face. "What's wrong Bennie?" He asked with a teasing smile. "Need me to bump somebody off?" 

         Benicio laughed and leaned back in his chair. "I think we're good for right now. How is everything going out there?" The club has been open for over an hour and he hasn't stepped foot in the dance hall since he arrived earlier in the day.  

         "Business is booming as usual. The joint is packed." Joey answered, still looking at Benicio intently. He knew there was something on his mind.  

         "What is it?" He asked. 

         Benicio looked up startled . He thought he did a fine job at hiding his emotion. "Why do you think something is wrong with me?" 

         Joey chuckled. "Bennie I've known you since we were kids in Brooklyn. The Bennie I remember would be out there necking with one of the chorus girls.  

         Benicio smirked. "Why aren't you?" 

         "We're not talking about me now are we?" Joey replied smoothly. 

         Benicio grabbed his glass of gin and chugged it. Once empty he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. 

         "Can't pull one over on you now can I?" He grabbed the bottle and refilled the glasses. 

         "So what is it?" Joey asked taking his glass. "Did you trash Big Daddy's car? Are you planning on going back to school-?" 

         "I'm getting married." Benicio blurted out. 

         Joey cut his eyes at him. First he looked shocked then confused as if he misunderstood something. "Wanna run that by me again?" 

         "I'm getting married." Benicio repeated.  

         Joey threw his head back and laughed out loud. "This must be some good hooch. I thought I heard you say you're getting married." He brought the glass to his lips and drank.