Chapter 6

Riding in the backseat of the car with the infamous Benicio Rizzitelli made Kenzie feel exasperated. He didn't utter a single word to her other than to ask for her home address. To add insult to injury he didn't even look in her direction. He seemed more interested in a stack of papers that were obviously pissing him off. Occasionally he would sigh outloud and grunt then resume to silence.

Kenzie pretended to be interested in the half built homes in development. There were a lot of construction going on in Los Angeles. The city was rapidly growing, expanding its land as far as the eyes could see. She enjoyed the scenery from the skyline. With Los Angeles being encircled by mountains, it was a sight to see, especially at night, when all the signs in Hollywoodland were lit.

When the driver pulled in front of her house Benicio got out of the car and opened her door. He offered his hand and helped her step out.

"Thank you." She said in a low voice, once again confused by his antics. Although she had a feeling he'd done it in case Jackson and her father were watching from the window.

He nodded with a tilt of his hat. "Your welcome Cara."

That was the third time he called her that. She wondered what it meant. Knowing it was an Italian phase, she loved how it sounded when it rolled off his tongue. But, she was not going to ask because she felt she'd spent enough time with him for the day.

"Do you want me to walk you to the door?" He offered.

"No I'm fine," She said looking at the gravel on the driveway. "Thank you."

Benicio slid into the backseat of the car and closed the door. "I will see you on Thursday, Kenzie."

The sound of her name coming out of his mouth made her look at him. There was a pleasant smile on his face. Now she was overly confused again. The man she spoke to in the pastors chamber, the man that proposed to her. The same man that insulted her was a medieval tyrant. The man she was looking at now, with the soft blue eyes had no trace of the one she encountered in earlier.

"Thursday..." She repeated with a small polite smile before walking off.

The driver didn't back out until she walked through the front door. Closing the door, she took the cloche hat off of her head and fanned herself. Her heart was racing. She didn't know what to think, she didn't know what to feel.

Benicio was extremely handsome, she gave him that. Possibly the most attractive man she ever seen. Those blue eyes that made her feel exposed. The angular face leading to lips that housed the perfect smile. He was tall and no doubt he had a firm muscular toned body. The way he stood is what interested her the most. His posture was perfect, whether he was sitting down gazing at her or standing up and insulting her.

She went upstairs to her room where she removed her sweater allowing her body to cool off. Leaving her egg white blouse on she went downstairs to the kitchen where she found her grandfather and Theodore at the breakfast table, silently listening to the radio while Marcel prepared dinner. The lovely aroma reminded her that she was starving.

"Smells good." She commented from the doorway.

This made everyone in the kitchen look up at her. Papa seemed surprised while a huge smile spread across Theodore's face.

Marcel grinned as he stirred a pot on the stove. "Aw thank you Cherie." He responded before moving to flip meat in the sauce pan.

"Suga Pie, I didn't hear you come in, you're back so soon..." Her papa said with relief on his face.

Kenzie forced a fake smile. "Yes Papa." was her response. She walked over and kissed his cheek before she took her seat. Theodore, like the gentleman he was, stood up and waited for her to sit down.