Chapter 12 (Part 3)- Aftermath

Kenzie waited and waited for Benicio to return to the tree. From the shouts and laughter, Kenzie knew the party was a blast. 

        Not being able to wait any longer, Kenzie went back to the tent. When she walked through the flap she was surprised to see the party so lively. Almost every guest were on the dance floor. Flappers, in all the glory, were dancing on top of the tables with glasses of gin in their hands. The party was completely packed. She looked around for Benicio but she had no luck, she couldn't even see her family. 

        Making her way through the dancing crowd, looking for someone  she knew, she bumped into a tall and lost her balance. Before hitting the floor she was caught. Kenzie looked up and stared into the person's face who saved her from embarrassment. He held her by the waist gracefully. Benicio mentioned this person before, but she was never formally introduced to this particular person. It was Joey.

        "I'm sorry," she said. "I was just looking for Benicio."

        He smiled. "Well since my arm is already around you why don't you do me the honor of dancing with me."

        Kenzie looked around nervously. Everyone was too busy in their own world drinking and dancing the night away. She didn't see Benicio and Joey was his best friend after all. 

        She looked at him and smiled. "Okay, I guess one dance won't hurt."

        They began their slow dance even though the band was playing an upbeat song. Regardless of being a ruthless gangster, Joey moved beautifully. Kenzie was able to follow his lead without stumbling.

        She looked at Joey as they danced. He was unbelievably handsome. His cheekbones were high and well defined, his dark hair was slicked back in small waves. His tailor suit made him look masculine yet refined. This raised a question in Kenzie's head.

        "Why didn't you come to the party with a date of your own?" 

        Joey laughed softly, surprising her. 'That's a good question." He replied with ease. "Jumping from skirt to skirt doesn't fascinate me like some of my friends." He nodded in Mickey's direction, who had two girls on his arm.

        Kenzie laughed. She liked Joey already.

        "I have to say Ms. Kenzie, you are one beautiful dame." Joey said making her smile yet again. "Benicio is very lucky to have you. Taking over the business and having you by his side."

        "Thank you. If I didn't know any better I'd say you were  flattering me."

        Joey grinned at her. "I'm a man of my word."

        Just that moment a roar of laughter erupted throughout the tent. Kenzie looked in the direction the noise was coming from. Her heart almost stopped as she stared at the beautiful woman on her fiances arm. They were carrying a causal conversation with the state judge. From the looks of things, it was a very interesting one.

        For the first time in her life she was jealous of another woman. The red head seemed so confident and comfortable around everyone. She held onto Benicio tight. Kenzie noticed he tried to pull away  but she wouldn't let him.

        "Who is that?" Kenzie asked nodding her head in their direction.

        Joey glanced over his shoulder before sighing. "It looks like my best friend is playing Drugstore Cowboy while a woman dangle from his arm."

        Kenzie cut her eyes at joey, surprised that he insulted Benicio.

        She shook her head. "Who is she to him?"