Chapter 14

It had been more than a week since Rachel's date with Finn and break up with Quinn and Rachel was feeling down. 

Blaine had been doing his best to spend as much time with Rachel as he was with Quinn but it was hard with Rachel's work hours. Quinn was still talking to Rachel but she had needed some space to recover from their break up, it was harder because she knew it was permanent this time and that she couldn’t give Rachel what she wanted. So Rachel was doing her best to give Quinn the space that she wanted but she was finding herself very lonely. 

Adding to her depression was the fact that so far Finn hadn’t called. It wasn’t like she had really expected him to but she had hoped that maybe he had felt a little more for her than just lust and desire like she had for him. 

Luckily Isabel had returned from her work assignment the day before, she was only supposed to be gone a few days but the job had been bigger than expected and had to stay the week. It was great to have her other best friend and room mate back, and to have someone to talk to who didn’t judge her or have concerns for the other party. 

“So it’s all over?” Isabel wasn’t surprised, she had thought as much when the little tiff had lasted longer than usual. 

Rachel nodded, she had just finished telling Isabel everything. About her date with Finn to the awkward dinner with Finn, Quinn and Blaine. Isabel had thought it was terribly funny and wished that she had been there for it. 

“So are you ok?” Isabel asked. 

Rachel smiled weakly “Truth was it’s been over for me for a while, I’m sad that I hurt her though but she’s agreed that she still wants to be friends so hopefully I wont loose her completely” she told her. 

“So then if you’re ok, what’s with the mood?” Isabel could read Rachel a mile away and her friend had been down since her return so it was obvious that if the break up with Quinn wasn’t bothering her that something else was. 

“He didn’t call” she sighed. 

Isabel was confused for a second but then it clicked that she was talking about Finn and she smiled “so it went that well?” she asked. 

“I already told you it did I was just sparing you details because I didn’t think you wanted to know how great your brother is in bed as well as out of it” Rachel teased. 

“Eeew Rachel” she whined “I’m glad he pleased you and everything but I don’t want to know about it” 

“and I’m not going to tell you” Rachel said. 

Isabel watched her friend then, it was obvious that Rachel liked Finn, that in itself didn’t surprise Isabel but she had thought Rachel understood the deal with Finn and was sorry that she had hooked her friend up with him now because it was obvious she would end up hurt. 

“Rachel, Finn doesn’t really do relationships……” she started to explain. 

“don’t worry Isabel I know, he told me all about it” she said. “He just asked could he call me and I guess I was kind of hoping he wasn’t just being polite” she sighed. 

“I know some other guys I could introduce you too” Isabel began to suggest. 

Rachel quickly shook her head “No thank you Isabel but it’s fine” she assured her. 

Realising then how late it was and that she had to work the next day Rachel said goodnight to Isabel then and headed to bed. 

The next day Finn was sitting in his office trying to focus on the case he was working on but his mind kept wandering to Rachel and his eyes kept moving to the phone. It had been over a week since had seen her and he wanted to call her so badly but he didn’t know if he should. 

Did he want to start a relationship? And if he did, did he have the time? 

Shaking his head and tried to go back to the case in front of him but five minutes later he threw his pen down when he realised it was pointless. 

Pressing his intercom “Margaret can you get me Rachel Berry's office over at Matheson and Tate on the phone please” he requested. 

“Right away Mr Hudson” she replied. 

Seconds later she told him that the call had been put through and Finn hit the speak phone just in time to hear the secretary answer. 

“Good morning Matheson and Tate, Jennifer speaking” she replied friendly. 

“good morning Jennifer it’s Finn Hudson is Rachel Berry available please?” 

“Just one moment Mr Hudson and I’ll put you through” 

Rachel's morning had been the opposite of Finn's she had made the decision that morning to stop wasting her time thinking about Finn and get to work. She had already had several appointments which doubled her work load for the next three months. 

“Rachel I have a Finn Hudson on line 1 for you” Jennifer informed her over the intercom. 

Rachel stared mouth open at the phone before finally answering “Thanks Jen” she said. 

She took a deep breath before hitting the speak phone “Rachel Berry ” she said coolly. 

Finn smiled and leaned back in his chair when he heard his voice “I don’t think you’re supposed to sound that sexy at work” he found himself saying. 

Rachel smiled at his comment and felt herself blush “I don’t know, my clients seem to like it” she responded. 

“I can see why” he said. 

Rachel laughed “Well this is a surprise” she finally said. 

“I know” he sighed “I’ve been wanting to call you sooner” he admitted. 

Rachel put her pen down “hmm well I’m pretty sure my phone’s been working” 

“I know” he cringed “so let me make it up to you” he suggested then. 

“what do you have in mind?” she asked her voice becoming sexy as she imagined a few of the things that she would like him to do to make it up to her. 

Finn was having similar thoughts but shook them out of his head, he pulled up his calendar then to see how his afternoon looked “let me take you to lunch?” he asked. 

He had two hours free from one o’clock. 

Rachel pulled her own calendar up and check to see if she was free, she had a two o’clock appointment but she could easily have Jennifer push it back. 

“Sure how about one?” she suggested. 

“Perfect, I’ll pick you up” he told her. 

“Downstairs?” she asked. 

“No I’ll come up” he smiled. 

“Ok well I’ll see you then” she replied. 

“Bye Rachel” he said before hanging up. 

He smiled and looked at the clock, he still had over an hour and that was plenty of time to knock off the work in front of him he thought.