Chapter 5

Christina walked back to her room with an empty feeling. She sat down on her bed and pulled out a box from beneath it. She ripped off the top and rifled through its contents. She looked at each of the things with a blank expression until she came to one imparticular object. It seemed to be a small picture.

She pulled it out of the box and held it in front of her, examining it with a smile. On the picture there was a little boy who was appeared to be about 11 years old. He had short chestnut brown hair and eyes of the same color. He was very thin and he was quite short for his age. His skin was tan and there was a big smile on his face. He was wearing robes that were far too big for him and was carrying a fat black cat.

On his left side, there was a tall girl who seemed to be around 12 years old. She had dark brown hair and bright blue eyes. She, like the young boy, was quite thin and her skin was very tan. Her cheeks were bright pink. She didn't seem very focussed though. She was rather busy trying to fix the boy's hair and clothes.

She eventually gave up trying to make him look more professional. She knew there was just no way she could get his hair to stay in one place. The girl was having trouble with the large black cat as well. It seemed to have a firm grip on her hand with its claws digging into her skin. Another girl came into view. Her hair was tidy but unlike the other two, her's was long and black. She had it tied up in a bun. She was much unlike the other two. She had pale skin and her face was covered in small freckles. Her eyes were a deep purplish color. They were all standing in front of a large metallic object.

The picture came into better view and now the Hogwatrs Express was visible. It seemed that it was the young boy's first year. The girls were holding his spellbooks and trunk as well as their own and their pets. The taller brunette girl had a long black snake entwined around her wrist. The other girl however, carried a small black tawny owl in a cage with Midnight etched in gold writing.

Christina admired the picture with her usual smile. The door slowly creaked open and she broke her focus to look at it. Aria stepped in and crossed the room toward her. She plopped down on the bed next to her and looked down at the picture.

"Oh my gosh. I remember that. Signus's first day as a first year."

"I know. I remember it like it was just yesterday. He was so little."

"I know. Check out his robes. They're like 20 sizes too big for him!"

"Yeah and look at us. We look so different."

"And remember how Mrs. Weasley was hounding us to get a good picture of his first day at Hogwarts?"

"Yeah. That woman was going insane!" said Christina with a laugh.

"Well it's getting late. We were out for a while. Dinner's starting. We should probably get going."

Christina got up and walked toward the door with Aria, leaving the picture lying on the bed. They laughed as they raced each other down the hall. The girls didn't have a care in the world for the first time in a while but sometimes things seem better than they are. Back in Christina's room, the picture was lifted once again from where it lie on her bed. Something was examining it. The thing took the picture in its hands and in a split second ripped a line down the middle of the two girs and the young boy.

In the blink of an eye, the thing was gone and all remained the same in the room. All that is, other than the picture that was split down the middle lying on the bed. Upon closer examination however, there seemed to be some writing on the image. The young boy's face was hidden by the dark red x that was marked over his face.