Chapter Thirty Nine

Obito sat on one of the stumps in the training ground. He remembered being tied to it during the gennin test with Rin and Kakashi beside him. Back before Team Seven he recalled how he had always strived to catch up to Kakashi, the genius child, the one everyone spoke of with such high regard. When they had first been put on a team together he had felt as if he finally stood on equal ground as him, like he finally had a chance to prove himself. He felt like he could get strong with the Leaf's famous Yellow Flash as a Sensei and a prodigy as his comrade. But just now, when he saw Kakashi use that jutsu, to know that he created on his own at their age, he felt lower than ever. How could he - a failure of an Uchiha, looked down upon by his own clan for lack of greatness - ever hope to be as strong as the child prodigy, the last of the ancient Hatake clan. Maybe he was a failure after all, just like he had always been told.

"You're not a failure."

Obito could bearly muster a surprised expression for the figure suddenly relaxing against the stump next to him. He looked away, once he identified, them to the lush green landscape that surrounded him.

"So what, you can read minds now too? Wouldn't be suprised." he grumbled moodily.

"I can actually. I'll show you some time." Naruto said.

Obito took a double look at the blonde only to find a joking smile on his face. He scowled. "Asshole."

"And you kiss your grandmother with that mouth? Besides, I thought you wouldn't be surprised?" Naruto teased.

Obito glared at his hands. "Shut up."

The blonde chuckled. Obito found his playful joking strange, he was usually the serious and quiet type, the kind that, even though they hardly spoke, you still knew they were wise and strong. It oddly suited him though, the playful smile that he now wore.

"So if there's no mind reading, then how did you know what I was thinking?" the Uchiha asked looking up at the massive trees.

Naruto sighed and sat up more proper, he watched the boy as he answered. "It's all in your eyes. The desire to be strong, to be equal to someone who sees you as lesser than them. I suppose you can say it's familiar to me."

Obito's eyebrows furrowed with confusion. "So did you have an old teammate or friend like that then?" he would bet on it. Naruto had already proved himself to be exceptional, something others no doubt envied, even after befriending him.

"No one else. I used have that look believe it or not." the Uzumaki told him.

Obito sighed. "Not." Naruto said nothing to persuade him, he left he Uchiha to his thoughts and took to counting the small creatures that scurried about.

The brunet didn't belive him. He must just be saying that to make him feel better right? The guy took out a dozen jounin by himself, no way he had been anything but the best since he was a child, others would have lived under his shadow, not the other way around. . . right? But then again, he didn't seem to be the type of person to comfort one with lies. "Who was it? That was 'better than you' I mean." he said with doubt.

Naruto smiled wistfully. "His name was Sasuke. He was on my gennin team. He was somewhat of a rival for me, as childish as that sounds. His clan was wiped out when he was young and he was the only surviver. He was kinda gloomy ya know, but he was the best at everything he did, certainly better than me."

"Did you ever catch up to him then?" Obito couldn't help but ask.

The Uzumaki nodded. "Eventually I found my strenths, they differed from his but yeah, I did."

"And did you ever pass him?"

A thoughtful look came into his blue eyes. "There was a time when people believed I was stronger. . . but no, I never was." he said.