Chapter Eighteen

Naruto went first to buy new clothes before anything else. He bought a few pairs of black ANBU sweats, a mesh undershirt paired with a black jacket (they didn't have orange). He also got a pouch for his weapons before he moved on to groceries. After that he went to a weapons shop and stocked up on kunai and shirikan as well as placing an order for a customized long blade sword.

Now he was in front of his new apartment. The building was definitely old but not exactly run down, it was definitely in better shape than the one he had when he was younger.

Just as Naruto was turning the key in lock someone spoke from behind him. "I didn't know anyone lived there."

Naruto spun around and almost dropped the numerous bags he was carrying. Once he saw who it was he settled down. "Kakashi Hatake!" he exclaimed holding the space above his heart. "You almost gave me a heart attack. What are you doing here?" he asked.

Kakashi pointed to the door next to his. "I live here."

"Of course you do." Naruto muttered under his breath. Old Man did this on purpose no doubt. Meddling old geezer.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing."

Kakashi looked at Naruto curiously. After a few moments the blonde was getting uncomfortable. He felt like the little Kakashi was reading his mind or something, which is something Naruto would swear Kakashi-Sensei could do and it always creeped him out. Like, Naruto would be planning something and Kakashi would just know. He ruined so many good pranks that way. But he also helped some times, as long as he wasn't the victim.

"What do want Little Man?" he asked, disregarding these fond memories.

Kakashi looked insulted. "I am not little!" he exclaimed

"Your what, twelve?"

"Yeah so what?" he said. Naruto almost laughed, he really was quite adorable.

"What ever that's not the point. I was wondering how you knew my name." Kakashi stated.

It took a moment to process what Kakashi meant; that Naruto had used his family name and at this time, he wasn't renowned enough that any random shinobi would know that. Naruto quickly thought of an excuse. "I was assigned to your team so I was given a quick briefing on all of you. Yours was quite impressive, gennin by age five, chunnin by age six. It took me three tries to pass the gennin exams and even then I was bottom of my class, the dead last." Naruto stated shamelessly.

"You say that like your proud of it." Kakashi dead-panned.

"I am."

Kakashi looked at him like he had a few screws loose."Why on earth would you proud of that?"

"Because my whole life I was told that I couldn't do it, that I would never be good enough. My dream was to become Hokage some day but no one believed I could. By passing even when no believed in me I showed myself that I had the strength to do anything I set my heart to. Look at me now, I'm a jounin, passed that without even trying." Naruto winked and ruffled the little man's strange hair before walking into his new place.

Kakashi stood dead still for a few moments after the exchange. The way he ruffled his hair felt just so  fond, like how his father used to. And his eyes seemed so. . . caring. But he didn't even know him, why would he care like that. I'm probably just tired, Kakashi concluded before going into his own apartment and heading to bed.

Naruto gave himself a tour of his his new place. There was a small kitchen and a small, open doorway that to a dining room and combined living room. There was a door off to the side that led to the bedroom and joining bathroom. The bedroom was a decent size but it didn't have a balcony like his old one did which he would miss.