Chapter 8: The Outlash

AINSLEY' S POV
I woke up to the sound of birds chirping outside Colby's window.

"Morning, Sleeping Beauty," Colby whispered. He was shirtless, laying beside me. Colby pulled me closer to him. He squeezed me tight. And I let him, silently smiling.

"I'm sorry about last night," I apologized.

"Don't worry about it, Ains," Colby replied sincerely.

"I have school today. I have to go," I told Colby.

"I can drive you," Colby offered.

"Sure. Sorry I keep stealing your clothes, but do you think I could borrow a shirt?" I asked wearily.

"Of course, Ains. Pick one you like," Colby, once again, offered.

After I changed, Colby dropped me off at school. I went through my classes without any distractions. I always did pretty good in school. I had A's in every class except Algebra 2.

After my classes, I was going to walk to Colby's house, but he was waiting for me. As soon as he saw me, I saw his eyes light up with joy. I smiled widely.

"How was school, beautiful?" Colby asked after I got into his car.

"It was okay, I mean, it's school, you know?" I asked Colby jokingly. He just nodded and chuckled. Colby started his car and drive us home, I wondered when he's figure out about my lie. Because I knew it wouldn't last forever.

"Come on, I need to talk to you," Colby told me after we walked into the mansion. I tensed, but followed him. I knew what this conversation was about.

I held Colby's hand as he led me in the direction of his room. We both took a seat on his bed.

"Listen, Ains... I really care about you. More than you'll ever know. But, I know that you didn't fall and hurt yourself on the sink. Please. Please tell me what happened," Colby pleaded desperately

"Colby... I-I can't," I said in a low voice.

"Yes. Yes you can. You're safe with me," Colby whispered.

Without thinking, I got up and ran downstairs. I didn't need to look behind me to know that Colby was following me. The crowd of housemates gathered around Colby and I. "Please, talk to me," Colby begged again, this time with sadness in his voice.

"You want to know? Do you really want to know that my father beats me?" I asked, anger boiling inside of me. Silence filled the room. Without my limbs consulting my brain, I lifted up my pants to reveal an enormous black and blue bruise. Followed by an even bigger bruise on my stomach. "He's the reason I tried to kill myself. This life... it brings me so much pain and I just wish that you weren't there to save me from that bus!" Tears fell from my eyes as I lifted my shirt sleeves to reveal cuts upon cuts that scaled both arms. "He's the reason I want to die," I spoke in a low tone, my voice slowly cracking. I knew the whole house was watching but I didn't care. I grabbed my notebook off of a nearby table and stormed out of the house. Thousands of thoughts swarmed my head. I left the house and walked for about thirty minutes. I have always had a spot in the deep wilderness I go to when my father gets drunk. It's the way I try to avoid being hit... Doesn't always work.

Believe it or not, but I'm a pianist. I love classical piano and it's truly a passion of mine. I've always relied on it to get me through everything. I began to write notes m, eventually creating a piece to call my own. Hours went by and I kept getting number and number. (Number: the kind where you don't feel anything not the digit). I almost forgot that Colby's roommates didn't know how I met Colby. I didn't know how I would bring myself to face them. What would they think of me? Would they ever look at me the same way?  But worst of all: How would I face Colby? After my outlash, I can't face him. I definitely won't be welcomed back to the house. I decided to finally get up and start to walk back. For now, I'd just lay out in the sidewalk.