Chapter Twenty Nine

"Hey Drake," Pansy said, feeling the separation calm down now that the mud - Hermione was near. "Can I sit with you two?"

Draco turned to Hermione, who just shrugged.

"Sure Pans. Why?"

Pansy scratched her neck. "Um, no reason. Just wanted to spend some time with you, is all."

Draco sat down next to Hermione and gestured for Pansy to sit down. She sat awkwardly on the bench and smoothed out her skirt, ran her hand through her hair, picked a piece of fuzz off of her shirt, and kept her eyes down the whole time. She called for Pinka, who appeared and sat down with her. Hermione stared at Pinka in both curiosity and mild disgust.

Pansy didn't know how to bring the issue up to either Draco or Hermione. She didn't know if they'd even take her seriously. Her father hadn't, telling her that it was nonsense and that no mermaid's curse could penetrate the blood of a pure witch.

"Um, thanks for the bracelet," Pansy said, holding up her wrist to show that she was wearing it.

"Oh, you liked it?" Draco grinned. "I wasn't sure if you would. I know you aren't the biggest fan of jewelry."

Pansy smiled. "No, I like it. It's light and it doesn't move around when I do."

"It's charmed," Draco explained. "It's supposed to fit perfectly."

"Well it does, thank you."

They fell into silence again, although this time it was slightly less awkward. Pansy found herself examining Hermione. She wasn't that  bad, but not what Pansy would have picked, that was for sure. She really needed to find that teeth-fixing spell...

"Pansy?"

"What?"

"I just asked if you were okay. You seem worried about something."

"Well I am. Brilliant observation."

Draco frowned. "What's wrong?"

Pansy fidgeted. "I need to tell you something," she began. "Both of you. You have to promise not to tell anyone."

Draco leaned forward. Hermione let her eyes drift over to Pansy from where they had been out of the window.

"Both of us?" Hermione asked. She seemed surprised.

"Yes," Pansy answered.

"But all you've done is be mean to me," Hermione said. "What secret could you possibly need to tell me?"

Pansy looked away and mumbled something.

"What?" Draco asked.

"Hermione and I are mates," Pansy said louder, but still quiet enough that those passing by wouldn't hear.

Draco and Hermione's eyes widened like crazy. "Mates?!" Hermione exclaimed quietly.

"Yes, and keep your voice down," Pansy hissed. "I'll be disowned if my father finds out that this isn't a sick joke. My mother won't be able to fight for me."

"Why not?" Draco asked. "I thought these things were passed down, depending on what you are."

Pansy shook her head. "My mother is dead, Draco. The same mermaid who cursed me killed her."

Pansy put her head in her hands and started crying. "She was horrified when I told her who my mate was and tried to get the curse lifted. She was so stupid. I don't even know why I'm crying!"

Draco moved to sit next to her and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. He didn't say anything, probably because no one would know how to respond to something like this. Pansy certainly didn't.