Chapter 25: Together anew

The two sat like that for what seemed like forever before finally standing up. It all feels like a blissful dream to her but this is reality. Sonny is actually alive right now and she couldn't be happier. "Sure you're okay to be walking, because we can rest a bit longer if you need to?"

"Hmm. All the darkness that was constantly weighting down on me is gone. My body feels lighter than it has in weeks now."

Outside the room they stop in front of the old man still lying on the floor. His gray eyes stare off into space and he doesn't appear to be breathing. Even if Sonny survived she didn't think he'd share the same fate. Erebus was possessing his body for quite a long time. "Duran really is defeated."

"Grandfather..." An unreadable expression behind his ocean eyes. She assumes anyone would have mixed emotions considering all he's put their family through. Still it has to be hard losing yet another relative, despite the evil he's done. Brooklynn gives him a moment to say a quick farewell, before something clicks having the boy jump up on his feet.

"Wait, if I'm alive doesn't that apply to everyone else too?!"

"That's right! Let's hurry back to the entrance!" Both teens sprinting across the bridge as fast as their legs will allow them. Now being able to run more freely since all the remaining monsters have disappeared. Coming there Finely is talking to the detectives as Isabelle is trying to wake up her father.

"Finely!"

"Sonny, you're alright!"

"Yeah, don't know how but it looks like the only one this affected was grandfather."

"Actually what I casted wasn't the forbidden spell, but a different one Aine taught me. She said if I was to kill Erebus the balance scale would forever be disrupted, and that will eventually lead to chaos. The type of cleansing spell I learnt is probably the reason only Duran faced demise in the end."

"I see, so that's why Amethyst said doing it this way was very important, rather than simply attacking Duran directly. If he been killed even if the forbidden spell wasn't used, it's a good chance his whole family line could've perished along with him." Ron's deduction does make a lot of sense. The girl glad she didn't slay Duran by mistake during their battle, or that would have ruined everything.

"We...get to live now, right? I-I was so afraid..." Sonny pulls his younger brother into a comforting hug.

"I know, I was also but it's all over now."

The burnette smiles then glancing over at Gores who's just waking up himself. A mixture of pain and regret written on his face as he gazes blankly at the floor. "I was so close. The dark magic is all gone..."

Isabelle looks as if she wants to say something but remains quiet. Though she was on her father side, Gores children seemed to have a much deeper purpose for helping him. A reason that had absolutely nothing to do with giving Duran his sealed power.

Everyone is thrown off when the ruins suddenly begin to shake. Large rocks crumbling from the ceiling is clear proof this place will give way at any moment. Nobody set off any traps so she has no clue what's happening.

"It's falling apart!" Jerry exclaims.

"We need to get out of here now!" Sonny grabbing both her and Finely's hand as everyone runs for safety outside. Not the moment they all exit the ruin it collapses entirely. The pile of rubbish slowly fading away until nothing is left.

"Did that have something to do with the deities being released?" Brooklynn questions, the taller agent letting out a sigh.

"Well it's a good possibility but there is so much of all these ruins still surrounded in mystery. Moving on to the bigger issue though you're going to be coming with us, Georgi."