Chapter 11: Restoring the balance

The sun shinning brightly in the sky, Brooklynn is getting ready for school like any typical day. It was a little hard for her to get sleep last night, which in turn is having her fall a little behind this morning. As of today it will be her first mission and she wonders what the ruins will be like. A sudden knock on the door causes Brooklynn to groan, pausing in doing her hair. "Sonny, I'll be out in a minute!"

"Not quite. I wanted to speak with you for a moment."

"Huh, that sounds like-!" Dropping the brush and breaking her neck to open the door. Standing on the other side is none other than the prince himself. "Josef!"

"Good morning to you too."

"I wasn't expecting-I mean what are you doing here?"

"Sorry I came by unannounced. I'm glad to see you're alright. You know I actually stopped by last night, but you didn't answer. I would've thought since you and Sonny went off ahead you would had beat us back here. I didn't want to intrude in your room but I was starting to feel something may have happened. Another monster attacked not long after you left."

"Oh..." That's right. The three of them had to be caught in the fray yesterday. The battle took a while to finish up so they must have got here before them. Her scrambled mind tries to think up an excuse quickly. Knowing the longer she stays silent the more suspicious that'll make him. "I was just sleeping is all! I was really tired last night so I didn't get much done before I was out. Sorry, I must've didn't hear your knocking." Failing to stop the nervous laughter that follows after. Josef is silent for moment then returning a small smile.

"That's alright. I won't keep you there is just something I wanted to ask yesterday, but didn't get the chance. Do you want to accompany me to the ball tomorrow?"

Just when she was pondering how to ask him, Josef came straight to her room to do so. Trying to hide her excitement she answers without a second thought. "Yes! I mean it sounds like fun."

"Good. It starts at eight so I'll be here to pick you up a quater till tomorrow."

"Okay, I'll be ready."

"That's all I wanted to ask. I'll see you in class, Hira." With that he swiftly makes his way down the hall, and her heart melts at the thought of going on a date with him tomorrow night. She eagerly finishes to get ready with a bounce in her step for school.

...

Second hour near its end the students are left with a little time to chat until the bell rings. Brooklynn turns around to talk to Raylen as Sonny doodles in his notebook. "Guess who scored a date to the ball this morning? I did! And none other than with the prince himself."

"Wait, Josef really asked you?"

"Yes! It's finally happening! We actually have a date."

"I see. He is required to attend the dance already as student council president."

"He's the head of student council?"

"Yup, was apart of it last year too. Though he's never asked a girl to an event like this before. Maybe Josef really does like you. Are you going to the dance, Sonny?" Raylen asks the ginger, who's gaze is still pinned to his artwork.

"Yeah, I figured I shouldn't miss out on all the fun." Brooklynn frowns slightly being reminded he'll be there to spy. She understands it's only for her own protection, but no incidents have happened here since the first day. Even at the hall she doesn't feel such an event will occur. "Looks like we'll all be there," Sonny adds, dropping his pencil and Brooklynn raises an eyebrow.

"All? But Raylen isn't going, are you?"

"Actually...Kite asked me just after we left the palor yesterday, and I agreed to go with him."