Chapter 23: the research

Thump thump. Thump thump.

I could hear my heart beating against the mattress as I started to wake up from my deep sleep. The room was quiet except for a faint buzz from the air conditioning.

I lifted my head from the pillow and the smell of linen wafted in my nose. I missed that smell. It was more prominent now, since I had gotten use to the depressing scent of the hospital. I turned my head, expecting to see Will in the same spot from last night. I was left with disappointment as I noticed a note in his place.

I rolled over and picked it up.

Had to go to work. I'll make it up to you.

I was instantly disheartened.

I'd obviously be sitting on my ass all day. I didn't like the sound of that at all. My leg was extra sore today, so I probably wouldn't be getting up anytime soon.

Thanks Will.

Will's pov:

Will's pov:

As soon as I walked through the door, I instantly sunk at the amount of people in the waiting room. Most of the chairs were filled from young to old, man and woman. I sighed and made my way behind the desk, dropping my bag by the chair.

There was a young woman standing at the front desk, scratching at her neck over and over. I could see a rash starting to form just above her collarbone, skin flaking off.

"Excuse me?" She stepped closer to the desk. "I've been waiting here for almost an hour."

"I apologize." I looked around to see someone, anyone else that worked here, "it seems we're a little under staffed."

"A little?" I heard her mumble under her breath.

Stay calm Will.

"Can you just take me back there and examine me? I think I have an awful allergic reaction."

"I would but it seems.." I reached over and picked up a form, reading the name, "Ethel Wallace is next." I said it loud enough so whoever Ethel really was could hear it.