Chapter 12: the realization

Soooo I don't know what chapter I'm going to switch to Liv's pov. I think staying in Will's pov for a couple more chapters would make more sense at least for part of it. Enjoy!

Chapter 12: the realization

I have to go to the break room. I need a few minutes to just breathe. But not before I figure out everything I can about Liv's seizures. Yes, they're unexplainable, and yes i have no  idea what could be causing them. It may take days, maybe even weeks of research to even narrow down a few possibilities of what it might be.

By the time I leave, it's well past midnight and visiting hours are over.

Almost to Liv's room, I notice that the lights are somewhat dimmer. Maybe the bulbs need to be changed.

But once I get back to her hospital room, there's someone else there. A girl. I don't recognize her because her back is facing me. She has wavy brunette hair from what I can tell, and she's sitting in the chair beside Liv's hospital bed.

She's basically sitting in the dark, which I can't understand why.

I stop in front of the door and clear my throat. At my gesture, she turns and I can see the sorrow in her eyes.

"Hey. Uh.. visiting hours are over. I'm so sorry." I try to be as polite as I can, but I feel like such an asshole either way.

She sniffs and wipes beneath her eyes, which helps the mascara smear a little bit.

"Are you the Doctor?" She says quietly.

"Yes- Well, no." I sigh in frustration. "I'm her friend. I'm also a doctor that works here. I was at the party with her."

I've never seen a face turn from sadness into pure hatred as fast as hers does. It's as if I had killed her whole family with my bare hands.

"Why the hell weren't you with her? What is wrong with you?!" She storms toward me but I hold my ground.
"This never would've happened if you had just-just.." She stutters and presses a palm to her forehead, trying to hide the tears that are escaping.

I bow my head and sigh.

"Listen. I-"

"No. Just... leave." She mumbles to me and turns back to Liv. Come on you idiot, speak!

But I can't. Instead I leave the room and close the door behind me.

God, every time I'm put under pressure like that, I always have to clam up. I say something stupid, or I don't say anything at all which might be even worse. There are so many things I want to say to her. Explain to her. That I was the first one at the scene. How Liv's been the first one to care about me in a long time, even though I haven't known her for long.

I don't even know who that girl is except that they are probably really close. But her words have gotten into my head. And I need to leave for a little while. Where? I don't really know the answer to that one worded question.

I make it down to the main entrance of the hospital and exit through the sliding doors. Luckily, nobody is even working out on the main floor, so I won't be stopped and forced to talk to anyone.

A slight chill instantly hits me from the change in temperature. i forgot that I'm still in my clothes from the party. I have to change unless I want to smell like I did before I met Liv.

The hospital is in a relatively remote area with a lot of land covering it, but sidewalks lead down to the city streets. There is a huge lot with a wide entryway where the ambulances can park outside the big doors on the side of the hospital.

There's nothing on the sidewalk except a single bench, so I sink down onto it, placing my hands on my knees. So many thoughts are running through my head all at once.

What if I had just stayed with her? What if I had kept her away from Daniel? And hadn't.. put her in that situation? I know after all this is over, she won't be the same. But it may be a good change and a bad change. Now that I know about her seizures, I want to research on it more. And help her.

Maybe she'll be okay.

But with everything that's happened, it has given me a lot of time to think about Liv's situation.

Has Daniel done this before?

I can feel the stress in my back muscles from hunching over, so I sigh and straight up, rubbing my forehead.

I want to know more about this and how I can put that monster behind bars. Because I sure as hell won't let him walk away with a slap on the wrist. Hopefully, I can scrape up some evidence that Daniel really did assault her.

But I don't even want to think about that possibility. A rape kit. It's one of the things I hate most about being a doctor. Just the fact that someone can get away with taking an innocent person's innocence. And they're the ones suffering for it.

Before I know it, the time reads 2:30 A.M. Damn, time really did go fast when I'm not thinking about how slow it was going.
I sigh and start to walk up the sidewalk, dragging a little from the lack of sleep. And maybe from all the baggage I have.

When I get inside, I instantly notice Dr. Altman frantically turning and looking around. The one from the ambulance. I walk closer and he finally spots me. He motions for me to come over to him, and I instantly obey his silent command.

"What is it?"

"She's awake."

I know this chapter was short but the next one will be longer!! I promise