Chapter Twenty-Two: Bailey Part II

Hey Guys, so I'm thrilled and yet not too thirlled with this chapter. It feels all over the place, but I couldn't figure out how to get everything that needed to be said out without going in seven different directions. I hope a lilttle of it makes sense, it's a long one. Thank you all for the encouraging words and the votes, deeply thankful on my end. 

Brooke

I never would have guessed that playing a card game with a bunch of hockey players could be so much fun, especially after an awkward introduction. The game itself sucked ass, I was terrible at it so bad that the guys only played one round. We were now all sitting around the living room, after moving the blasted card table, listening to the guys tell me some horribly funny and a little raunchy locker room stories. 

I was currently crying I was laughing so hard from one of the stories Stacers was telling about some Puck Bunny that had snuck into the locker room completely nude, except for the whipped cream she drew on certain areas and hid in his locker.

“To this day I can’t look at whipped dairy products the same way I used to,” Stacers finished giving a dramatic shiver. 

I wiped under my eyes glad I hadn’t put any mascara on as I settled back against J’s chest still laughing to myself over the graphic image Stacers had described. Twisting I looked back at J he’d grown quieter as the night wore on; he had one arm wrapped around my waist his thumb drawing odd shapes on my stomach. He caught me staring and offered me a half smile, his eyes distant. I took the hand that was on my stomach and kissed his palm not caring what any of the guys thought of my little display of affection, one they were too busy laughing over another locker room story to pay attention.

I was about to ask him what was wrong when my eyes caught Stanley making a mad dash for the door, he started barking just as a knock sounded. Up until now the golden retriever had been just as quiet as his master and with J tensing up beneath me, going on gut instinct and all but something is clearly going on that he’s not willing to share.

“Smalls, can you . . . can you get something from my room for me?” J asked prompting me to stand up as the knocking on the door took on a more furious note.

“J, what’s going on?” I looked between him and the rest of the guys who looked just as tense and aware as J.

“Smalls, please.” He pushed me past Piet who had his head in his hands. What the hell is going on, aliens? An ex-girlfriend? The Coach? Before I could get another word in edgewise J had steered me into his bedroom, a room mind you I hadn’t entered before until now.  

“You’re scaring me,” I whispered feeling tears prick the corners of my eyes. “J, if it’s another girl . . .” he paled so quickly that I almost threw up. Oh god . . . oh god . . . I can’t breathe.

“Smalls,” he choked on my name, causing hot tears to stream down my face. “God, no, there’s no one else.” He swore under his breath hauling me into his arms, his lips brushing my cheeks, my forehead, my nose and my eyelids. “No, it’s Dom he’s . . .” he shook his head unable to continue. “Just stay here, I’ll come back when he’s gone and explain everything.” His lips were chaste against mine, leaving me before I could question him further.

What the hell is going on? I feel like I’m in sort of bad soap opera. I hiccupped wiping at my nose with the back of my sweatshirt, don’t judge me. I went to the door pressing my ear against it; I could just pick out muffled voices.

What did J mean that ‘it’s Dom’? What does that even mean, last time I talked to Dom things had been peachy keen between us, the whole five seconds we talked. Son of a bitch, how is it that guys think girls are more complicated?