Chapter Thirty-Five: Bailey Part II

Bailey

Gathering myself I followed J's lead and jumped out of the Range Rover heading for the trunk, he was already there opening the back end and pulling out a mid-size cooler, along with a large canvas beach bag that he handed straight to me. I peaked in the bag and was surprised he actually packed for the lake; sunscreen, beach towels, extra sunglasses, and a bunch of other stuff I wouldn't have even thought of bringing.

Stuffing his keys into his pocket he lifted the cooler from the trunk and motioned for me to close it, I did without question hefting the tote over my shoulder I wondered what all he had packed in that cooler.

"You planned all of this while I was sleeping?" I asked following his across the parking lot confusion coloring my tone. He grunted out an answer; too busy watching where he placed his feet in the sand.

"Do me a favor, Smalls," he pulled up suddenly just missing a Frisbee flying at his head. "Take a hold of my belt loop and stay close behind me okay?"

I almost didn't hear him I was too busy people watching, mothers were running around trying to catch their toddlers who were in turn screaming nonsense making a good chase for their mothers. There were old men walking down the beach with fishing poles and tackle boxes in their hands cigars jutting out their mouths. Kids our age were playing beach volleyball their shouting and laughing drowning out everything else.

Beyond all the noise of people was the lake and Lord was it beautiful, crystal clear in color and still despite the hum of motor boat motors in the distance. The occasional wave runner or sail boat would disrupt the peace of the water but it only added to the beauty.

"Smalls, did you hear me?" he sounded frustrated, I couldn't imagine why with that view just beyond the crowds.

"Huh?" I mumbled placing my hand at the small of his back.

He cursed under his breath pulling up short again and this time I did bump into him, my toe stubbing against his heel. Where my hand was placed at his back I felt every muscle stiffen and coil tightly. I took that moment to look around him and what I saw made me want to run back to the Range Rover and lock the doors.

A mob, a freaking mob of people surrounded us. Fans, it was the only reasonable excuse to the hordes of people closing in around us. Freaking vultures, some even had hockey pucks and player t-shirts that they were shoving towards J who still had his hands full with our cooler. Cameras and smartphones flashed all around us, whimpering I pressed my face against his back molding myself to him my front pressed flush against his back.

"Hold on Sweetheart," I heard him murmur as he bent down to free his hands to sign things. That's when the fans pressed closer to us, shirts and pieces of paper being shoved in J's face and mine . . . chaos it was straight chaos.

"JT sign my shirt!"

"JT can you sign my hockey puck, please?"

"Hey JT, smile!"

"Dillions, over here!"

"Can you sign my cast?"

It never stopped, ten minutes in and more and more people kept filing in, I swear J was going to flip his ever loving shit. He and the guys loved their fans, it's pretty much how they are able to keep their job that and you know play awesome hockey. The fans are what make the sport so electric and worthwhile, but sometimes they can be too much, like now.

"Can you sign my forehead?"

"JT, can you sign my bikini top?" some chick beside me purred tugging on his arm, I cast her a dirty look she promptly returned with a death glare of her own. I was two seconds from letting go of J and full on tackling this chick if she didn't let his arm go.