Chapter Six: Bailey

Just give him your number. It’s the 21st century, a girl can give a guy her number it’s perfectly okay to be bold. Give him your number, B.

Ever since Dill went to go and pay for our bill I’ve been feverishly debating with myself on whether or not I should give him my number and actually plan to meet him outside of the bar. As you could tell I was slowly talking myself out of the idea completely, which was normal and quite sad. I call myself old fashioned, my friends call me chicken shit. I could flirt and tease like it was going out of style but taking that next step was painfully difficult for me, and I haven’t been able to understand why either.

So, I normally let the guy make the first move if I’m digging him and to be quite honest I’m really digging Dill, despite his pickle nickname, and if I’m not really enjoying the guys company and he still asks for my number I give him the old switch. By asking for his number first and really sell the lie with something like “my phones on the fritz and doesn’t take calls, so why don’t I call you?” perfect lie works all the time and then I somehow loose the number by way of the trash. Mean? Bitchy? I think it’s resourceful and clever, if King had asked for my number, if Dill had never come to the rescue, I would have done the exact same thing. Only I might have told him why I would never call him in a million years and then that would be called bitchy.  Then it’s settled, I’ll ask for his number. Time to be brave B; don’t sit in the passenger seat for this guy. 

I looked over my shoulder at Dill who was laughing with Beck over something, strange it looked as though they’ve known each awhile. And I’m pretty sure I would have noticed Dill in this bar before chatting and laughing it up with both Cass and Beck. I turned back to my phone seeing the screen light up and a vibration travel through the table telling me that I had a text message. It was from my roommate Emma, which was really weird because I was just about to send out a mass text to both my roommates telling them that I was going to stay our dorm room tonight instead of going home like I normally would.

Hey B! Jus wnderin if U were still comin to the dorm 2nite?? Harper & I misssss U soooo much! U owe us a nite in!! Luv Em and Harp’—Emma

Tonight just kept getting weirder, shaking my head I quickly sent a reply back saying that I’d see them both in a half an hour at the most. Then I sent a message to my mom letting her know that I wasn’t coming home tonight after all, and that I’d see her after classes tomorrow. Satisfied that I wouldn’t receive anymore texts tonight I turned my phone on silent, now it wouldn’t even vibrate if someone tried to get a hold of me. That only left me one thing to do to end tonight on a high note, and that would be to either give Dill my number and then go back to my dorm to tell Harper and Emma all about it while we gorge ourselves with Ben & Jerry’s ice cream or be the brave girl I boast about being and ask him for his.

Fuck it. Go big or go home, right?

 Spotting a napkin across the table I snatched it tossing a casual glance over my shoulder to see that Dill was still talking with Beck and he was. Taking out my lipstick from the front pocket of my jeans I proceeded to write down my number in Maybelline’s newest shade of red lipstick perfectly named Risk Taker. This was classic rom-com material, way better than telling him my number or typing it into his phone.   

I had just finished writing down my number on the napkin, which by the way was harder than it was made out to be in the movies, when I felt him come up behind me. I can’t explain how I knew it was him, I don’t even want to venture that deep at this moment, except that I already knew that the person who was behind me who put their hands on the back of my chair was Dill and it didn’t startle me or give me the creeped out vibes at all.

This can only spell out one thing: TROUBLE, with a capital T.

I looked up at him, pulling my dark tresses to one side just so my hands had something to do instead of sit awkwardly in my lap as he towered above me.