Chapter Eight: Bailey

One stop for the bathroom later and I ended up with a forty-four ounce cup of diet coke and a bag of M&Ms, the sharing size, but who really shares M&Ms? After purchasing my snacks and a tank of gas I read through my emails and text messages from when I left campus, texting and driving is a big no no kids.

One email was from my French Professor saying that she would be out of town visiting “family” and wouldn’t be back until Wednesday which meant no class on Monday. That got a little Jersey Shore style fist pump action, less homework for the weekend. The second email was from my bio professor, my hardest class to date, she didn’t have good news. Naturally she added homework and wanted it due a day earlier, what a bitch. Closing my mail app because I was done with my teachers ruining my weekend, I read through my text messages instead.

Mom: ‘Can’t w8 to C U, miss U baby!’

Harper: ‘Don’t be mad @ Em, B. We only want 2 protect U.’

Emma: ‘Told Harp about our fight, she thinks we’re still mad at ea. other. Srry if she yells. Luv U.’

Kade: ‘Let me knw when U get hme. Campus isn’t the same w/o U’

Popping a couple M&Ms in my mouth I replied to all four texts, going into a lengthy explanation to Harp about mine and Em’s fight and how we fixed it and she needn’t worry because it as she would say ‘was all good in the hood’. With Kade’s text I hesitated, sometimes he could get a bit clingy for a friend. I ended up just texting back ‘K’ short and sweet.

With everything taken care of I was on the road again only twenty miles out from my home in the suburbs. Home sounded amazing right now, like an extended vacation on a remote island minus the peace and quiet. Hey, when you have a younger sister and two younger brothers, add parents and a ridiculous amount of animal’s life isn’t quiet for the Summers.

Which is just how we like it, it was easy to forget that we lived in the burbs when we have over two acres of land plus a couple miles of forest right in our backyard. But that was just the backyard, go out front and we have neighbors all around it helps to live on a dead end street too. My mom’s mom lives across the street, while my dad’s parents live just down the hill from us, comes in handy for the holiday season. 

Going home for two and a half days sounds ridiculous, especially when home is only an hour away from school, but after the week I’ve had I just need to regroup. Get my barring’s back and ignore every distraction that tries to come my way, no matter how hot they may be. It should be simple; focus on school, work my ass off for impressive grades, graduate, get a kick-ass internship for journalism/sports analyst and live a little. So far that last little self motivating aspect has gotten me where I’ve never wanted to go and that’s . . . pining over a guy. There I said it, happy?

But, enough already about some guy who I’ll probably never see again, it’s like a million to one chance that I’ll ever see Dill at Plager’s again. So, really, I have absolutely nothing to worry over or care about because he had a chance. There was an opportunity for him to call me and he obviously missed it. This in the long run actually helps me out, because if he had called me and we decided to go out to dinner and see a movie or something boring along first date ideas. I might not have figured out that beer goggles not only masked a person’s looks but also their personality. So thank you Dill Something-or-other for not calling me, because there are obviously other fish in the freaking sea, fish that would call me too.

Jeezum, I need to stop. See, this is my problem, among other things, but really just this which is called OVERTHINKING, which I tend to do on a constant and very ludicrous basis. If overthinking was edible I could feed a third world country and receive the Nobel Peace Prize.