Chapter Eighteen: Bailey

After I got off from work at precisely 1:00pm, I ran out to my car with the only thought of getting a hold of Harper and Emma. It was now 1:15pm and I still hadn’t called my best friends, I hadn’t even turned the danged car on so I was freezing my ever-loving butt off. Why? Not because I couldn’t stop thinking about Dill, though that was a given, but because I didn’t know if I should tell him to meet me at my dorm which is closer and had Harper and Emma as backup. Or my house which was only forty-five minutes away if you’re speeding and bonus points it didn’t have a million college kids that loved hockey. But my house did have my parents and that was something that I’d like to avoid just for a little bit longer, meeting the parents oh wow that would be interesting. Although it would be around three before he picked me up and dad would be at work until five, mom would be somewhere, my younger brothers would be at school and Sawyer would probably be off running around with her boyfriend.  

College . . . dorms . . . school . . . classes—Shit I have classes tonight! Ugh! Seriously how could I forget that I have College Algebra and Human Bio tonight my hardest classes this semester? Son of a gobstopper, skipping both classes would set me back in homework and I hate math and bio already and have zero idea what I’m doing in the class anyways. To skip or not to skip? Que the dramatic music please.

Digging my keys out of my purse I finally started my jeep cranking the heat all the way up, putting the jeep in reverse I easily backed out of my parking spot. With one hand on the wheel and the other doing something incredibly illegal . . . having Siri call both Harper and Emma. I did something that the ‘good’ ‘sweet’ ‘totally responsible’ Bailey would never do and that was I took the highway that led me back home, I was skipping my hardest classes for a guy. Someone get this in writing because there’s no chance that I’ll ever do this again.

Lucky for me and everyone else driving today Harp and Em both picked up after a couple rings. I did do the smart thing and put them both on speaker phone.

“Emergency to the nth degree my dears!” I cried out a little too excitedly because both girls gasped at my high pitch. “Sorry! Emergency, I’ve got an emergency.” I sang out watching my speedometer coax up to the speed limit.

“What the hell B?” Harp grumbled sounding like she had just woken up from a nap which wouldn’t surprise me. “Do you know what time it is? Nap time B, its nap time.”

“Why are you napping at three in the afternoon anyways Harp?” Em jumped in sounding out of breath. If Harper was napping after her early ballet class then Emma probably just finished her normal routine of running eight miles. Girl made us all look bad with how much she exercised. “You just had your ballet class at seven this morning right? How long of a nap do you need?”

“Guys, listen—”

“I had ballet for two hours this morning and then an extra jazz class at noon for another two hours, I think a nap is in total order especially since I didn’t get back from Aaron’s till four this morning.” Harp argued making me think she needed to go back to bed she was really cranky.

“And who’s fault would that be, the staying out till all hours of the night?” Em fought back all the more reasonable one.

“Em, Harp not important just listen—” again they interrupted me.

“Well when did you get back from Graham’s dorm room last night? I didn’t see you in your bed last night or this morning.” Harper replied smugly.

I picked up my phone before Em had a chance to reply and screamed. “Enough already! Seriously are you guys PMsing or what?” that had definitely got their attention. A heavy silence settled over my car for a good five seconds before both girls muttered apologies to each other and were back to being the best of friends.