Chapter 1

Hi everyone! This is my second novel on Wattpad and I am so excited to start writing!! I hope you guys like it! I appreciate hearing your reactions so make sure to like and comment! Much love! Xx -A

Everything happens for a reason, right? That's what I keep telling myself to make myself feel better. But why? Why do these things happen? Why do people leave? Why do people hurt? Why does everything have to be a damn challenge?

My Mother is completely unstable. Before Dad died, she had a bit of normalcy. But when he was killed, my Mom couldn't cope with it. She turned to alcohol and drugs. I've had to take care of her since I was twelve. Every day when I came home from school, she was either passed out on the couch or with a new boyfriend doing drugs. Some childhood.

My Dad was a Police Officer. Ironic, huh? He was killed during an armed robbery. I miss him. He was the head of the house. He could fix things in a millisecond. I wish he was here.

I am not your average seventeen-year-old girl, as one can tell. I don't have a social life other than my friends Maris and Luke. They are brother and sister and live right across from me. I don't go to parties and I don't socialize. In school, I sit in the back of the classroom, answer all of the questions, take notes and read my book.

I love reading. It takes me away into a different world. I love writing too! Especially songs. In a way, a writer is a commander of their own universe. That's what my father always said. I remember one conversation we had when he saw me writing in my notebook. I was only twelve, but I knew what he meant. I knew.

"Juliet, what are you doing?" Daddy asks.

"I'm writing, Papa! Like the girl in my book!" I chant, showing him my book.

"What are you writing?"

"A song. I like songs. They're pretty. I want to make something pretty." He walks over to me and kisses the crown of my head, bending his knees so he can look at me.

"Never lose your artist's soul, Juliet. Remember that. A writer is a God of their own universe. They have control. Whenever you need to go somewhere, just write it. But you must promise me that you'll never lose your artist's soul!"

"I promise, Daddy." I say. He smiles at me and looks at my television to see the Disney movie Mulan on.

"I loved that movie!" He says. I smile and giggle at him. "Sing me a song, my Juliet. Sing one from Mulan!"

I don't hesitate. I open my mouth and let my vocal chords work magic.

That was the last time I ever saw my father. I made him a promise and I will never break it, no matter how many people try to break me.

I love school. I love learning new things and getting good grades. It makes me feel smart. And that's one of the things I get bullied for.

Girls are cruel. People are cruel. They take something good and turn it into something twisted. They spread rumors about me because of how skinny I am, the way I dress, how ugly I am, how I will never be normal, yada, yada, yada.

It's a Monday morning, 5:30 bright and early! I get up to the song Emotions by Mariah Carey playing on my alarm clock. I hum to it as I put on my eye liner. I like how the black eye liner makes my brown eyes pop. I go into the bathroom and plug in my curling iron. I wrap each strand around the wand, count to ten and then release for a nice wavy look. I love my long brown hair!

I walk to my closet and pick out a black tank top with a tan cardigan, blue skinny jeans and a pair of brown combat boots to go with the chilly winter weather of Northern Montana. I used to live in New York, but moved here when my Dad died because it was cheaper. I look at myself in the mirror and feel all of my negative thoughts coming in.