Chapter 20 - A Stroll in the Woods

Chapter 20

Amaya's POV

"Hello there future sister-in-law!" I yelled as I basically tackled Laila the moment she walked through the door. She giggled and hugged me back.

"You know we're not going to be sister-in-laws, right?" She said with a confused face.

"Whatever." I waved my hand dismissively. "Hello George." I greeted Laila's father. I've only met him once or twice before they moved, but from what I could tell, he was a good man.

"It's nice to see you again, Amaya." He looked at me kind of weird, his eyes lingering on mine a little longer than usual. I shrugged it off and Alec came in an enveloped Laila in a hug as well. These last few days I've been a little down in the gutter, more than I usually am. Although I try not to show it because I don't like others to pity me. 

I heard someone clear their throat from behind us, and as I turned around I seen Zane standing there slightly awkward. "Let's get planning, shall we?" He said. And with that, he turned on his heel and headed toward the conference room.

"Well, see you later." Laila said to me with a sad smile.

I shrugged and began walking to the stairs. "Come find me when you're done!" I shouted over my shoulder before entering Cal's room for some bonding time. Not that we needed it; I just like to make him think I hate him. I walked through his door without knocking to see him laying on his bed lazily flipping through the TV channels, his eyes barely flickering to me as I entered. "Aren't you going to do anything with your life?" I sighed and I sat next to him.

"Nope." He said without any effort.

 I easily snatched the remote from his hand and turned off the TV before turning to face him. He looked at me like his didn't even care, so I spoke up. "Let's go for a run." I suggested.

"Okay." He shrugged and hopped off his bed.

I followed after him and we walked to our usual spot at the treeline to shift. He walked behind a tree and so did I. I quickly stripped down so I could shift; it's been a while and my wolf was getting seriously angry for not being released in so long. I heard Cal shift already and take off, not worrying that I wouldn't catch up, so I shifted as well. My now black and white fur replaced my flesh, and my claws and fangs extended as I let out a growl of delight. My vision sharpened extensively as did my endurance as I bounded from my spot behind the tree and took off into the forest.

I'd only been running for a little while when another wolf's scent alerted me. I whipped my head to the side as I began chasing the scent, sensing that this wolf was somewhat close by. I growled at the thought of another wolf being on my territory as I chased it down, wanting to kill it for even thinking it could get past me. 

I've noticed that my temper is shortened greatly while in my wolf form now, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying an occasional run in the woods. I just normally go alone; this is the first time I've gone for a run with someone since... It happened.

I could tell I was really close now, I could tell by how the scent's strength was growing with each step I took. I dodged a tree as I flew past and jumped over a fallen tree until I skidded to a stop. There, standing before me was a light brown male wolf, panting and looking at me with what looked like... Excitement? Happiness? What's with this guy? I let out a territorial growl and snarled my teeth as I took a step closer to the trespasser. His happy looked shifted to a confused and uncertain one suddenly, which confused even me. I raised my hackles and put my ears back to let him know that he was not welcome here, although he didn't try to submit or leave. I challenged him again as I took another step toward him, growling menacingly. He whimpered lightly and put his ears back with a weird look on his face. It looks like this guy isn't going to back down. Well, he asked for it.