Chapter 12 - Playing with Death

Chapter 12

Alec's POV

I was at work under a car at the shop fixing the suspension when my cell phone rang. I pulled it out of my pocket at looked at the screen to see it was Callum.

"Yeah?" I said casually while resuming my work.

"Dude, you need to get to the hospital NOW." He said in a panic. I rolled out from under the car on the creeper and sat up.

"What for?" I said curiously.

"Something's wrong with Amaya, you need to get here now!" He yelled.

"Shit, I'm on my way." I said before shoving my phone back in my pocket and sprinting to my car, not even bothering to tell Sam, my boss, that I was leaving. 

I jumped in my car and sped out of the parking lot and toward the hospital, barely dodging cars as I raced through them. I ignored the angry yelling and honking as I skidded into the emergency parking lot and sprinted into the building, not bothering to stop at the front desk as I followed the familiar scents to a room down the hallway and through some double doors. Several doctors attempted to stop me but I just barrelled through them as if they were nothing until I seen Callum, my parents, and Amaya's parents standing outside a door looking painfully grim. Their heads snapped up to me as I ran up to them, breathing heavily from my run here. 

"What happened?!" I almost yelled. No one responded, so I turned to Callum. "Cal, what the hell happened?" I tried again.

"I don't know man, I just got here ten minutes ago." He said, bewildered.

"WILL SOMEONE JUST TELL ME WHAT THE HEL IS GOING ON?" Everyone looked down, except my mom who looked more nervous than anyone here. "Mom, what happened?" I asked dangerously.

"I-I don't know.. Alec, s-she just f-fell over and..." She burst into tears as my father tried comforting her. My fear for Amaya plummeted as I burst through the door they were standing outside of despite everyone's protests.

The sight before me almost literally broke me to pieces. Amaya was lying on a hospital bed surrounded by doctors who were trying to help her while she was having a seizure. 

"No, no no no NO!" I yelled as I sprinted over to her side and placed my hands on her shoulders. She was shaking violently and her eyes were fluttering, allowing me to only see the whites of her eyes. Her entire body was convulsing and shaking violently, her mouth slightly open and her body stiff. When I heard her irregular, erratic heart beats on the machine connected to her arm my own heart dropped. This isn't good. She's going to die. 

"NO! Amaya, you can't die, do you hear me?! YOU CAN'T DIE!" I screamed as sudden tears burst from my eyes and dripped on her shuddering body. Three doctors were trying to pull me out of the room while yelling at me but I took no acknowledgement of them as I shook her and cried, pleading her not to leave me.

My pleas and tears were cut to an abrupt stop when the machine made a different noise other than her once erratic heart beats. It was just one, long, drawn out, never-ending tone. My heart sunk and I began to tremble when I realized what that was signaling. Her heart stopped beating.

"NO!" I screamed as I gripped her firmly in my arms. Her once stiff, convulsing body lay limp and frail in my arms. I sobbed as I gripped her tighter, silently pleading for her heart to begin again.

"SOMEONE GET HIM OUT OF HERE!" A fuming doctor yelled at the other residents.

Four male doctors roughly grabbed my arms and yanked me off her and dragged me to the door. I had given up fighting back; a life without her wasn't a life worth living. The doctors pulled a cardiac defibrillator and charged them before pressing them to her chest and yelling 'clear!', causing her body to jerk upward violently as the shock ran through her. I closed my eyes, not wanting to see any more and let them push me out the door before collapsing on the ground with a new burst of sobs. I felt my mother's arms wrap around me as she too sobbed into my shoulder.

"I'm so s-sorry Alec... I-I'm just s-so sorry." She stuttered in between sobs. I just shook my head and cried as she apologized over and over for I don't even know what.

We sat out there for countless hours in grief, them thinking she's still alive but me knowing the truth. I honestly don't even know why I'm still here; maybe it's just the sliver of hope I have left that she may survive. My tears died down as I tried to adjust to the feel of not having her with us anymore, but I just couldn't do it... I couldn't live without Amaya. After the multiple hours of sitting out in the cold, grim hallway, the same doctor that ordered my departure of the OR came out with a grim but hopeful expression. Instantly my heart dropped and I slowly stood up, not quite ready to hear the news.

"Well, I can gladly say that she is stable, but barely. Although, she's going to be in comatose. I don't exactly know how long, but I can assure you that as soon as she wakes up, she'll be fine." He said with a smile.

"Oh, well that's... Good I guess." My mother breathed an unsure breath of relief. Amaya's mother burst into tears at the news and her mate grasped her shoulders to keep her from collapsing on the ground. My heart lurched at seeing her so devastated, but I turned back to the doctor as he began talking again.

"But, I would not recommend smothering her too much. Even though she is in a coma doesn't mean something like what happened earlier can't happen again. She is very fragile, so I would recommend not touching her or making any loud noises." The doctor said seriously.

"Okay, when can we see her?" Amaya's mother asked hopefully after her tears subsided enough to allow her to speak. 

"You can come see her now, but no more than three people at a time." He said while motioning for us to follow him into the ICU to another room in which she was kept.

"You guys can go first, I'll go later with Cal." I said quietly to Amaya's parents.

"Lucille, why don't you come in with us too?" Amaya's mother, Rose, said gently. My mother nodded and walked into the room, closing it behind them. I sighed and sat down on a nearby chair with Callum sitting next to me.

"You think she's gonna be alright, man?" He asked me.

"I hope so." I said while staring at the ceiling.

"Amaya's a strong girl; I'm sure she'll pull through." My dad said honestly. Cal and I nodded, not fully sure of what to think.

We sat quietly, the anticipation building with each passing second before Amaya's parents and my mom finally walked out with tears in their eyes. Rose had a tissue and was dabbing at her relentless tears while Saben, Amaya's father, patted her back comfortingly while holding a grim expression.

My dad lightly kissed my mom's forehead as she gave him a weak smile before we walked in to see Amaya. Cal and I cautiously walked up to her bed as my dad closed the door behind us and followed. As soon as I seen her lying there, my face paled. Her gaunt, frail body laid in the hospital bed with all kinds of tubes and machines hooked up to her. Her pale, grayish skin looked thin and accented her slightly protruding bones, making her look like a starvation victim. Before this happened, I realized that she was losing weight and getting thinner, but she looked nothing like this. I had to basically force feed her to get her to maintain a healthy weight, but even then it didn't suffice. Now this was my punishment for not looking after her better. A single, warm tear rolled down my cheek and landed on her covers. I felt a hand on my back and looked to see my dad looking at me sadly. I smiled weakly before looking at Cal, who also had tears in his eyes. I quietly pulled up the chair sitting by the window and sat down, suddenly feeling exhausted. I can't even remember the last time I cried. Most likely when my age was in the single digits, and even then I barely cried. So now, seeing Amaya like this, closer to death than she's ever been, I had no shame in my tears and weakness. 

I gently picked up her tiny cold hand and pressed my forehead against it and sighed. Please Amaya, just pull through okay? I know it's hard, but you have to make it. For me. For Cal. For your parents. I thought to myself.

Please just make it through.