Chapter 18 - A Change in Plans

Chapter 18

Amaya's POV

Sometimes, life hits you hard. It'll knock you down to the ground, kick you in the gut, and spit on your face; but you just gotta get back up and punch life in the face. Well, that's from my perspective anyway. Ever since I punched Emily in the face, I've found that it's actually a great way at solving things. 

Punch Cal in the arm for taking my cereal.

Punch Alec in the shoulder for whining that it's been too long since he's seen Laila.

Punch Cal in the arm again for saying something stupid.

The list goes on... But it always turns out the same way. Them shutting up and bowing to my precedence. Although I would never punch one of them in the face; that would be just rude.

"Dude, I just asked when you think Laila will come visit again!" Alec exclaimed while rubbing his sore arm.

"Yeah, for the fourth time." I said back.

 "He can't help it... She is hzmayftrl.." Cal mumbled quietly.

"What did you say?" I asked. He looked around like he didn't know what I was talking about before shrugging nonchalantly. I turned to look at Alec to see that he was glaring at Cal. "What the hell is going on?" I asked, exasperated.

"Nothing." Alec said while sauntering out of the living room where we were watching TV. I looked at Cal with an incredulous look. 

He sighed and looked up at the ceiling. "You two have things you need to talk about."

"What kind of things?" I questioned.

"Important things. It's not my place to tell, but you should really go talk to him and try to get him to open up." Woah, that's a first. I've never even heard Callum give someone advice, let alone giving me advice. It's just plain creepy.

"Do you know what it is?" I asked.

"No duh." He said degradingly.

"Well then." I said sarcastically. There was a pause of silence as I watched the TV on a very low volume, all the while I could feel Cal staring at me intently. "What?!" I snapped after I'd had enough.

"Go talk to him! Jesus!" He yelled. 

"Fine!" I yelled back and got up, mumbling profanities at him. 

I walked up the stairs and to Alec's bedroom door before knocking semi-loudly.

"Yeah?" I heard him say on the other side of the door.

"I'm coming in." I didn't give him time to object as I opened the door and walked in, shutting it behind me. He was laying on his bed with a worried expression. I walked over and stood next to him with my arms crossed, staring at him intently. "There's something you're not telling me." I started. He looked at me, a little surprised at my bold statement. He eventually sighed and ran his hand down his face, looking defeated.

"I know... I'm sorry Amaya, I'm just confused." He paused before getting a confused look on his face. "How did you know though?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Well, we've been best friends since I was in diapers, and I've been paying extra attention to you recently." I said playfully. He gave me a disbelieving look before I let out a chuckle. "Okay, Cal might have told me that something was up."

"Yeah, leave it to Cal to keep a secret." He rolled his eyes.

"That'll be the day. So we're keeping secrets now, are we?" I said quizically as I walked to sit on his bed next to him.