19

I sat on my bed with a towel wrapped around my body, just staring at my closet. Aaron had told me to dress nice, but I don't know what counts as nice.

I sighed.

This is the first time that I've actually put thought into my outfit. I decided to try on my only skirt but I did not look presentable. I didn't want to embarrass Aaron, we were going to meet some powerful people and this was his shot at getting promoted. I don't want to ruin that for him, but at the same time I can't wear something that doesn't feel like me, which is dresses and skirts of any kind.

Screw this, I'm not going.

But I have to.

I sighed and threw myself on the bed.

The doorbell rang and I immediately sat up.

Shit, he's here.

I sprinted to my closet and put on the first thing I could find. Which was black jeans and a white, tight shirt and then my usual green jacket. I hurried to the door and opened it, Aaron wore a black suit and a dark blue tie. He studied me from head to toe.

"Sorry, I tried, I really did," I looked down on my outfit.

"You look great," he stated.

"Yeah, thanks," I said, not really believing him.

"I picked these up for you," he said while handing me a bouquet of flowers.

I took the flowers and smiled.

"Don't worry, they're fake so you can't kill them," he chuckled.

I laughed.

"You know me so well."

"You ready?" he smiled.

"I guess so," I gave him a nervous smile.

The ride to the event was short and quiet, but I enjoyed it. It was a comfortable silence and I knew he thought that too.

As we approached the building I saw people in fancy dresses and suits. You could say that I was not really dressed for the occasion.

We went inside, which was much worse. It looked like a freaking palace.

I could feel everybody's eyes burn into my back, really uncomfortable. I could hear them whisper too.

Stuff like "They should've never let her out of there" and "She doesn't even have a dress".

I really didn't mind, as long as Aaron didn't.

"Alex, this is Ryan Radford," Aaron introduced me to a middle aged man.

"Hello sir, it's very nice to meet you," I shook his hand.

"You too, Alex," he gave me a big smile.

"Ryan helped me start my career when I didn't want to be an attorney anymore, I owe him," Aaron put a hand on Ryan's shoulder.

"Stop, you really don't," Radford assured him.

A woman in a beautiful red dress walked up to us.

"Ryan, who is this?" the woman looked at me and grabbed Ryan's arm, I'm guessing that is his date.

"I'm Alex, nice to meet you," I gave her a polite smile which she didn't respond to.

"You shouldn't be associating with people like her," she lowered her voice.

"People like me?" I raised one eyebrow.

She sighed.

"You know, people from the wrong side of the tracks. You're all the same and can't change, everybody knows that," the woman said.